SailNet Community banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Some feedback for @vessel. One upgrade I won't be doing is using your app. It looked interesting so I downloaded it. But the amount of personal information you require just to get past the registration process is way over the top. Not only the usual name, email, and password (OK, you get my honeypot account like others), but a requirement for a picture, as well as intimate details of the boat is too much. It even appears that you might be tracking the position (of the phone, but I guess that is a proxy for the boat) - although it is difficult to tell since I won't go past the registration. There seems to be no way to get pass this intrusive registration to actually see what the app offers. If one tries to dismiss the registration process, they are just taken back into it and told all the information is required.

I understand the need for boat details in an app designed to track maintenance, parts, etc, and understand if this was personal information stored on my phone only, but to require it for registration to use the app is different. I'm sure you are a good person who would never do anything with that much personal and detail information, but that isn't cool in today's world.

It is definitely possible that I am not interacting with the process correctly, and the above is wrong, but I can't see any way to get past the registration process and into the app without adding all of that information requested.

Mark
Mark, kind sir! Thank you for checking out the app. It means a lot to me. I'll send a direct message to discuss further as I think it's most appropriate for this. My intention is to provide a great experience, and the app doesn't collect any location information as of current. If that is desired, it may be added and will have to be approved for each boat. Email, LOA, boat name, a photo, etc, are appropriate features to collect considering it is about your boat. Regardless, I appreciate your feedback and I'll be making updates for the sign up process. I appreciate it!

·
12,165 Posts
I don’t want to turn this into a referendum nor a place to promote your Ap.

I don’t think you joined SN for that reason , or a least I hope not. When I saw that I became a little suspicious as others have done that.

I also tried it and like Mark when I saw all the information I had to give even to check it out , I deleted it from my history.

What is wondered was is any part of the ap require any purchase of membership or is it entirely free. BTW I still wouldn’t give all that information out the gate.

·
bell ringer
4,805 Posts
While i sad solar earlier, you know the most important and best dollar wise upgrade i ever have done on my boat is?

It is the 12” thick queen foam/gel mattress i got a few years ago. Nothing you can do on your boat has more quality of life than ensuring a good night sleep! And in my case i5 was cheap at around $400. But yoy should seriously consider this even if thousands of dollars.

Reactions: vessel

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Yeah, I mentioned earlier that like an autopilot, I consider a good mattress as a requirement and not an optional upgrade.

We currently have a good innerspring mattress with a memory foam topper, but are getting rid of it because it is heavy and can't be moved to access under it (I think I will need to sawzall it to get it off the boat - I have no idea how it got in the boat). Thinking right now is a quality foam/gel or a sleep number air thing.

Mark

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I don’t want to turn this into a referendum nor a place to promote your Ap.

I don’t think you joined SN for that reason , or a least I hope not. When I saw that I became a little suspicious as others have done that.

I also tried it and like Mark when I saw all the information I had to give even to check it out , I deleted it from my history.

What is wondered was is any part of the ap require any purchase of membership or is it entirely free. BTW I still wouldn’t give all that information out the gate.
Sending you a private message as I think that is most appropriate :)

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
While i sad solar earlier, you know the most important and best dollar wise upgrade i ever have done on my boat is?

It is the 12” thick queen foam/gel mattress i got a few years ago. Nothing you can do on your boat has more quality of life than ensuring a good night sleep! And in my case i5 was cheap at around $400. But yoy should seriously consider this even if thousands of dollars.
Very good point regarding mattress. We have a more standard v-berth mattress that is actually pretty nice. I've heard of some mold protectors that go underneath mattresses, can't think of the name. Do you use anything on your mattress to protect against mold, etc?

·
bell ringer
4,805 Posts
I dont have anything other than a fan than blows air under the mattress , which currently isn't working, for my berth. That issue depends on where you cruise and the temperatures. Since I no longer cruise in cold water that fan not working isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We've been living aboard for the last year and a half and we're frequently coming up with upgrades to create a nice environment to sail and live. I'm curious what upgrade (if something in particular) has increased your quality of life the most?

For us, it's our upgraded solar panel array. We put two 170 watt flexible Sunpower panels on our bimini and installed a Victron MPPT 100 | 30 Charge Controller. The bluetooth app that we use on our phones for monitoring the solar action in real time is pretty cool.
very much depends on your needs and sailing pattern. Solar is a great upgrade and I already have three panels installed over the transom davit. Just replaced the older controller with a new MPPT. Water maker also came with the boat but I really never needed to use it with 750 liters of water tanks and the changed sailing patterns for me that are max 3-4 days between marinas.

So any one here has a list done and a wish list to be done I would guess. My own most valuable upgrade last year was a new Bimini fully attached to the solid dodger with optional fully enclosed panels and shades.Being well protected from the sun and elements in the Caribbean and now as heading back to New England really expanded my sailing season and enabled a way more convenient cruising in unpleasant conditions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems to me a question with no single answer, it depends on the current sailing mode. At different times we were happy with different upgrades. Doing long crossings I was happy with the radar (AIS as well). Today in Greece, in a marina, about 40 celsius, the A/C. Dropping anchor on seaweed - Spade anchor.
When going downwind - the gennaker etc. etc.
On second thought, the best upgrade was enlisting my wife on full offshore skippers ticket course😁

·
12,165 Posts
Many of us I would venture to say the majority on SN aren’t long range blue water sailors or cruisers. We use our boats on weekends, a few couple of weeklong vacations. In our case we average on the high side of 2500 nm a season. 30 - two or three day weekends and 42 other days meaning we may be averaging 100 days per year on our Haleakula.

The miles indicate lots of actual sailing so our major upgrade for our type of sailing was a good quality MFD, AISB and radar as a safety component of our sailing. the ability to plan, forecast, current , identify potential hazards have been made easier than 20 years ago.

The human comfort factor was the multipurpose canvas/ sun/ insect screens my wife made for Haleakula. We don’t seek the sun s we did in our 20s. The canvas keeps us cool in the heat, keeps the sun off the cockpit at anchor, keeps us dry and comfortable making us more alert in inclement weather, and makes our cockpit area the best “room with a view” for dinner and at anchor.

To me there should be any value judgements as what others choose as their major upgrade ( answering the OPs question) as that’s what they beleive made their type of sailing safer or more comfortable on their boats for their type of sailing.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts