SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know what kind of sailboat was used in the film "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"? It's beautiful.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have never seen the movie, but I am willing to bet it is an R-class sloop. Because those are damn good looking boats.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked up R-class sloops, and that is certainly a nice vessel. The sloop they highlighted in a few scenes were similar to style to the R-class, but not an R-class. ....I'm still wondering if anyone knows.

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
I haven't been able to find any authoritative answers on the internet as to the real name of the boat,or its whereabouts. gorgeous boat though.

·
SouthernComfort
59 Posts
It looked similar to the Morris Sparkman & Stevens sloops with the looonnngg overhangs. My first impression was that it was a wood boat.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Im not sure what type of boat it is but I am also curious about it as well. I just watched this movie for the 1st time last night so it was kinda random to see this thread today...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sparkman & Stephens 32

I have not seen the movie, but did it look like this?

Supposedly this is a picture of "Button Up" from the film, but I cannot verify that either (having not seen it), but maybe this will tweak some memories.

cheers

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Oh, was there a boat underneath Brad Pitt in those scenes? I somehow didn't notice...

;)
Ahh, I totally agree with you on this point haha :D

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I thought I'd say my 2 cents. I don't have an answer per say, but I do want to suggest YahooAnswers. They have saved me in so many pinches. Might want to give it a shot.

---
Mary

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To Saltydog: smile!

To NK235: Were you just as enamored with that boat as I was while watching it? It's funny, I actually stopped listening to the film, and was just thinking, "...now what kind of boat is that?...Brad, get out of the way, I'm trying to ID the boat." Maybe this means Brad Pitt is no longer my number two celebrity crush (Depp is #1), and this boat has taken his place. :)

To CapnRon47: It had similar lines, but was much much smaller. It was somewhere between the boat in your photo, an R-class, and a Pearson Triton.

I should have taken a screenshot of one of the scenes, but i only rented the film so now I can't. :(

...well, maybe there's someone out there that knows. :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes I also thought the boat was gorgeous. I tried searching myself all over the internet to find out what it was but couldn't locate it. I did notice the mast had a lot of bend in it in the movie.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, I've posted to Yahoo Answers per CompleteSailor's suggestion. If I get an answer, I'll post it here.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,363 Posts
I was only able to find a thumbnail photo of the boat from Benjamin Button, my first guess is a Lawley built S&S Designed Dark Harbor 20 (31 feet overall) if this is a small boat or else the picture looks like a Starling Burgess designed 8 meter that I once knew named 'Cuyuga" which was around 42 feet. I would also suggest that the boat in question could also be an International one design Class, a Scandinavian designed 5.5 or six meter, or else the only remaining 'Resolute' class. What ever Button Up is, she was probably built under the International Rule and would think this probably a Scandinavian design rather than an S&S design unless she was penned by Aage Nielsen while he was there.

Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To JeffH: Thanks!
It's a beautiful boat!! One day I'd like to captain a boat like this, take her under my wing (and have her take me under her wing).
One day. ..dreaming

1 - 20 of 51 Posts