SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some discussion around a recent sailing movie got me thinking of things seen on the water that on first glance seem quite normal but later on it's "Hang on a sec!!!.."

Here's a thread for those pics, 'cause I'm sure there are many out there. :D

Post away. They don't have to be your pics. The only rule is that, since this is a sailing thread, it must have a boat in it. I'll start:

Righto, so the boat is heeled over and supposedly sailing to windward in almost zero breeze - but there are no sails up!!

Anything else??

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was thinking "maybe the jib is up" but seeing that the line isn't tied tightly around the winch, there goes that idea.
Yep, that was the first thing that occurred to me too.

Maybe he's grounded and trying to motor off? :D
Actually, under normal circumstances, that's about the only way this scenario could make any sense.

..but he's supposed to be in the middle of the Indian Ocean 1000 miles from anywhere and his engine doesn't work. Stupid movie. Never mind...

Next pic! :)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
..but he's supposed to be in the middle of the Indian Ocean 1000 miles from anywhere and his engine doesn't work. Stupid movie!.. never mind.
That explains it, the ocean is slanted there. The whole area is at about a 25º angle.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That explains it, the ocean is slanted there. The whole area is at about a 25º angle.
:laugher :laugher :laugher :D

I know.. The Kraken's got a hold of his keel! :)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Havn't seen the film yet but has the list got anything to do with the collision damage ?

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Havn't seen the film yet but has the list got anything to do with the collision damage ?
Possibly.. but make sure you don't spend any money seeing it. It really isn't that good.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To stop this turning into a movie thread, here's another one (an oldie but a goodie):

So, what's wrong with this pic?!? Looks like a nice summer's day out on the Waitemata doesn't it?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The wake is perpendicular to the starboard side !!!!! Maybe someone or something has a rope attached to and is pulling the keel on the port side.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Nice looking boat with out the lifelines in the way. BTW, Who needs PFDs and lanyard attached to the boat? Turn on the Auto pilot and go.

There IS someone at the helm, right?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Some discussion around a recent sailing movie got me thinking of things seen on the water that on first glance seem quite normal but later on it's "Hang on a sec!!!.."

Here's a thread for those pics, 'cause I'm sure there are many out there. :D

Post away. They don't have to be your pics. The only rule is that, since this is a sailing thread, it must have a boat in it. I'll start:

Righto, so the boat is heeled over and supposedly sailing to windward in almost zero breeze - but there are no sails up!!

Anything else??
So what I see is wash but no wake. And also there seems to be a protrusion along the starboard topsides that looks to me like broken fibreglass.

I would say there has been a collision of some sort. Maybe the wash is a wave off the rocks he's just hit? If that is so, he doesn't look very concerned about it.

Is there going to be an answer?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
To stop this turning into a movie thread, here's another one (an oldie but a goodie):

So, what's wrong with this pic?!? Looks like a nice summer's day out on the Waitemata doesn't it?
The dude at the mast appears to be sneaking a peek at the bulge in the other dude's shorts?

NTTAWWT, of course... :)

Oh, and there's a really piss-poor lead of the furling line to the furling drum...

And the first pic is way too big... :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used to be a avid rock climber. Sounds like the movie Lost is to sailing what the movie Cliffhanger was to climbing.

If you ever see a repeat of Cliffhanger, ask yourself this: Why would you be wearing a climbing harness, a piton hammer, and 10lbs of assorted 'rigging equipment' if your climbing without........ wait for it...... A ROPE!

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Nice looking boat with out the lifelines in the way. BTW, Who needs PFDs and lanyard attached to the boat? Turn on the Auto pilot and go.

There IS someone at the helm, right?
Yep, there is someone on the helm - leaning back out of the shot... and hanging on for dear life!

In the Rodd and Gunn pic ... there's no jib up, and the main has NO wind in it.
BZZT. There's the trap - you're wrong. The main is reefed down as far as it will go and has over 30knots of wind in it!! :eek: :D

Notice the bow wave?? This yacht, one of the Kiwi's classics, is doing more than hull speed and these poor sods are standing on the foredeck smiling!!

:laugher :laugher

1 - 20 of 60 Posts