SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the thing on your boat, equipment wise, that gives you the most enjoyment to use?
It might be something you have bought and exactly fits what you needed and you still get a smile remembering your good decision. Maybe its an engine, a winch handle, dinghy... It could be anything.

I pulled my electrical tool kit out the other day and just smiled when I saw that I now have the perfect kit that makes electrical jobs a dream to do, some of the tools are old, some new, some not used often, and all in my custom tool roll.

So while I play with my kit, tell us about yours :)

Attachments

·
19,484 Posts
I think I'd have to say my battery powered drill/screwdriver.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Without a doubt, it's our Link 10 battery monitor.

I can't tell you how many arguments we have NOT had because of lights or other electrical use.

Greg

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Hard to beat the Makita screwdriver but I gotta say that after trying to coax my prop off a few weeks ago to change out the cutlass bearing (conventional large prop pullers do not fit), I finally, in exasperation, made up some extended arms for my standard wheel puller. It pulled the prop lickety split:) I am glad to now have that in my toolbox.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Whats the thing on your boat, equipment wise, that gives you the most enjoyment to use?
It might be something you have bought and exactly fits what you needed and you still get a smile remembering your good decision. Maybe its an engine, a winch handle, dinghy... It could be anything.

I pulled my electrical tool kit out the other day and just smiled when I saw that I now have the perfect kit that makes electrical jobs a dream to do, some of the tools are old, some new, some not used often, and all in my custom tool roll.

So while I play with my kit, tell us about yours :)
Where is the high dollar multimeter?

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
Battery Powered Milwaukee Right Angle Drill. With a winch bit it converts all 11 winches on the boat to "electric". Absent the winch bit, it is a great power grinder, sander, polisher. It is, of course, a great drill; with a boring tip a great ice shaver/blender and with a mixing paddle/galley wisk a great, albeit heavy, mixer.

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
We're still enamored of our new engine. Sounds dumb but it's in my favorite color and I like to keep it clean and happy.

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
Our girl has a complete cockpit enclosure with solar panels over. Wonderful in cold wet weather but in summer a sauna. We added roll up curtains that extend out to the lifelines on the side and aft pullpit at the stern. Keeps the cockpit well dry even in pouring rain while allowing good flow through ventilation and shades from the afternoon sun.

I wish I had some pics but alas no.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Mark, you're gonna love this one :)

My Sailomat WINDVANE... I'll never tire of watching that thing in action, some of the best $ I've ever spent...

:))

·
Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Battery Powered Milwaukee Right Angle Drill. With a winch bit it converts all 11 winches on the boat to "electric". Absent the winch bit, it is a great power grinder, sander, polisher. It is, of course, a great drill; with a boring tip a great ice shaver/blender and with a mixing paddle/galley wisk a great, albeit heavy, mixer.
Nearly the same. I have a 120v 1/2" Milwaukee Right Angle Drill and a winch bit. It's a joy to turn on the inverter and raise the sails with it. Massive torque and I never need to worry if the battery is charged! A couple of weeks ago we were buddy boating with friends for a week in the SVI. Leaving the marina I had both sails up and trimmed in a couple of minutes while they were still trying to get their main up. I may have lied and told them I was just really strong.:D I was far enough away they couldn't see or didn't notice that I was "cheating".

·
Registered
571 Posts
.. It could be anything.
The first and strongest thing that comes to mind is my combination bottle opener/corkscrew.

But that seems too trite. I'll go with my Sharpie permanent marker. I've recorded nut/bolt sizes right at the bolt and for tools that have dedicated uses, I've written their function right on the tools. I also have a table of boat fittings and the tool sizes they require written on the inside of my toolbox's lid.

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
Right now, I'd say it's my dodger/bimini canvas. It was high on our list for the new boat and the PO (or at least his canvas shop) did a great job.

My Admiral loves it and wants to spend time on board.

That's win/win. :D

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
For me it's gotta be my Ferrari. Our Zodiac, Classic Mark 1 with a 15 hp 4 stroke outboard.
This is NOT a RIB, but a true inflatable boat (105#'s plus motor) and it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys to drive. Never mind it's usefulness, but on a hot, still, summer's day in the tropics, we just hop in the dink and crank her up til we have twenty knots of tradewinds going, and cruise around for a few hours. Almost as good as A/C.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ten watt solar panel and tablet computer. Batteries are always charged when I get to the boat, and I no longer have to use an inverter to run my computer. I'm all 12 volt now and the tablet uses a lot less power than my old laptop. Also doubles as a chart plotter.

Picked up a strip of LEDs from an auto parts store. I use them to light up my cockpit at night. I feel safer sleeping at anchor with the boat all lit up.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,090 Posts
ATN MastClimber.....went up the mast once in the first seven years I owned the boat, been up over a dozen times in the last 6 months, sometimes just to enjoy the view.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Lots of equipment onboard I love ❤ but the simple one that makes light of work and put a smile �� on my face would have to be the tensioner I made for the alternator belt. It's a simple wire tensioning screw. All I did was to cut off part of the ring of each screws to make a 2 finger fork �� that sits nicely on curve of the pulleys. :D. by turning the bottle screw I could easily push the pulleys apart.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.