SailNet Community banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
7,811 Posts
Obvious answer is to go to a charter area that is not closed down.
St Martin / St Barth / Saba /Statia / St Kits

That's a nice cruising ground with easy access by flights from the USA and Europe.

Reactions: Blewtooth

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
Obvious answer is to go to a charter area that is not closed down.
St Martin / St Barth / Saba /Statia / St Kits
Can't move, once the charter is booked. Issue is where to book it in the first place.

Do they have higher vaccination rates than BVI? The real question is whether they close down again, not whether they are closed down now. BVI only has 40% of their population with their first shot and their vaccine supply just expired. It's not just a question of getting more vaccine, apparently they had a hard time getting their population to take what they had.

Variants are the risk to the unvaccinated this winter and the islands with very little hospital space could close to keep their beds from being overrun again, which puts the vaccinated at risk of not having access to critical care. It's viscous circle.

Worse, as of today, only 11% of the worlds population is vaccinated.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Vieques. Culebra. St. Thomas. St. John. St. Croix. Each are a day's sail from the other. 38 miles from my mooring to Esperanza. Rent scooters, wind around Vieques (avoiding unexploded ordinance signs) go to Red Beach, Green Beach, Sun Bay, Bio Bay. Hit the Malecon in Esperanza. Go visit Isabel Segunda. Yeah, you can stay busy.

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
These 20 somethings (friend's kids) would be looking forward to Willy T's, Foxy's and Soggy Dollar, not scooters. What replaces that?

I've also looked up the USVI vaccination rates, which are only about 50% of the population. Not that far behind the mainland. Have to wonder if they can't make more progress, whether USVI and SVI restrict travel this winter too.

All seems like a crap shoot. Very, very, disappointed.

·
Registered
2005 Sabre 386
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm working towards an STT port with an SVI target. I love Culebrita.

·
Administrator
7,811 Posts
Now? Opps, sorry, I thought you meant in a few months. Anyone is crazy to try to travel now. BVIs just closed their whole immigration department - today - as they all got a dose of Covid.

Few are vaccinated as they dont trust their untrustworthy government.

BVIs maybe off the table for cruisers for some years.

·
Registered
765 Posts
These 20 somethings (friend's kids) would be looking forward to Willy T's, Foxy's and Soggy Dollar, not scooters. What replaces that?

I've also looked up the USVI vaccination rates, which are only about 50% of the population. Not that far behind the mainland. Have to wonder if they can't make more progress, whether USVI and SVI restrict travel this winter too.

All seems like a crap shoot. Very, very, disappointed.
USVI probably won't shut down. First Cruise Ship in 15 months hit Havensight yesterday. They require proof of vaccination or current test to come in, and they prosecute fake documents. Now, there's things to do all over Culebra, but if party must be had, go see my friends Stuart and Natalya in Esperanza at Lazy Jack's, one of the several watering holes on the Malecon. Tell Stuart "Maineiac" said a free round for everyone if you want to see a Brit get all choked up.

I'm not saying "don't go" to the BVI. Eyes wide open. I don't even know if the William Thornton is operating. Wait . . . let me check . . . yup, there's peoples at the Soggy Dollar. Here's the live cam at the Beach Bar in Cruz Bay: Saint John: Beach Bar Live Webcam - US Virgin Islands - World Cams

Then on STJ you got Lime Out, the floating bar over by Coral Bay, Skinny's . . . things have changed since the hurricanes.

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
The winter is such a crap shoot. What happen with the variants. What do local islands do, if their unvaccinated populations start getting sick again. Of the low vaccine turnout, was the more vulnerable more likely to get vaccinated, meaning a resurgence would have less impact on hospitals. All unknown.

Just talked to my buddy, who’s family we were going to take sailing the BVI. All think it’s just too much of a risk right now.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The tank is on Culebra. I have no idea if Moorings permits running to Culebra/Vieques/PR. If so, I'm sure they have call/clear protocol, since it is a separate Customs jurisdiction from the USVI. You MUST do what they say, although the hundreds of Ricans that came over for Christmas, New Years, Easter, etc. - I don't believe many of them ever followed any protocols. Nor do many of the doofuses sailing back and forth, but if the CATCH you there's hell to pay.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Here's the current front page on BVI status. A 32 year old resident died, but I believe it might be only the 2nd death. Residents of the Islands tend to be duly wary of the vaccination. They pulled a hard lockdown for almost a year, and recently "reopened." This does not bode well for ongoing tourism. http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
Pebbles hospital (Tortola, BVI) has only ~120 beds. Who knows how many ventilators. That seems sparse for a country with 30 thousand residents. Maybe not uncommon, for third world countries. It must play a part in any country’s thoughts on virus containment.

52% of BVI’s GDP is based on tourism and 1 out of 4 residents work in tourism. It will be back. Bumpy road though.

·
Registered
2005 Sabre 386
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We're seriously considering opting for a USVI trip at this point. We could go over to the BVI if it's available, but would plan for a USVI only experience. We're not beach bar types. We're more into quiet places with warm water, good snorkeling, and a few interesting places to walk. Any recommendations and/or thoughts on that sort of trip in the USVI?

·
Registered
765 Posts
CYOA, Island Yachts and Moorings . . . I've never chartered . . . don't like other people's boats. Don't know what the deal is, but I remember captained charters going back and forth across the line. I'd be curious if anyone was providing for Spanish Virgins charters. Between Dewey, Esperanza and Isabel II you have a chance to get your "metro" on, then there's a ton of places to hang. Over to Palomino, into Fajardo, etc. Between St. John and St. Thomas I could stay busy for 10 days and not spend 2 nights in the same place. And probably know people everywhere I stopped. Great snorkeling, lotsa hidey holes the tourists don't make it to - like in between Great and Little Hans Lollick. Saw a nice tiger shark in there one time, though. Eyes wide open in the Caribbean - in all respects.

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
Fasting to fight a respiratory epidemic? Come on. I respect religion, but that was clearly optional and ill advised.

It’s going to rage through the islands now. The only question is whether so many get it so quickly (or become motivated to vaccinate) that it burns out by winter. We’ve decided to let it play out for another month or two and reassess, before putting funds on the line.

·
Administrator
7,811 Posts
Oh, fasting can certainly work.
The Caribbean islanders are in general way obese which is an absolute marker for a poor result with Covid - or a myriad of other illnesses.
The rest of the world has missed this opportunity yo get this health message out that obesity kills.

Fasting, low Carb, résistance exercise (weightlifting) and sun ☀ giving Vit D help everyone.

😊

Mark

Reactions: s_ruffner

·
Registered
765 Posts
Fasting to fight a respiratory epidemic? Come on. I respect religion, but that was clearly optional and ill advised.

It’s going to rage through the islands now. The only question is whether so many get it so quickly (or become motivated to vaccinate) that it burns out by winter. We’ve decided to let it play out for another month or two and reassess, before putting funds on the line.
Who knows? Each island is different. Different people, different norms. Vieques is one way, Culebra another. St. Thomas is different from St. John is different from St. Croix, and the islands of the BVI have similar differences. Love Anegada, tired of JVD, Tortola is another game altogether, then VG has it's own thing going. I don't think it will "rage through the islands," but like some parts of the U.S., it'll get worse before it gets better and others should come through unscathed.

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
If I have my facts straight, very few BVI belongers were infected last year, given their strict lock downs. Now that so few agreed to be vaccinated and the infection rate is pushing 20%, I'm afraid a rage might be exactly correct. The belongers have very little herd immunity to protect them.

Anyway, we'll see. I wish no harm to them, just facing the facts about the risk of dropping down thousands of dollars on a deposit we may not get to use as hoped. For the poster above who just wants to snorkel and have beautiful solitude, I'd agree that STJ has plenty to offer. I particularly like Maho/Francis area and it's easy to wave down a taxi on the road behind the beach, if one must go to town. We like solitude, but mixed with civilization and night life, given the day's mood.

Losing weight and getting fit is entirely different from fasting for, what did they say, 20 days? That's malnutrition and harmful, especially if one gets sick.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts