SailNet Community banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
And here's the current state of affairs in the BVI. It is "raging" on Tola. That's a lot of deaths for a small community. USVI wants 48 hour test proof or belongers can't come over. And BVI can't even do the tests in 72 hours. Part of the problem is ******* travelers lying about tests & vaccination because they want "freedom" to expose others. CDC Issues Level 4 Travel Alert For BVI As Covid Crisis Engulfs British Islands

·
Registered
24,194 Posts
You mean fasting isn’t helping? Shocking. Wife’s theory is this will plow through the islands with great speed and they’ll find herd immunity the hard way. Wonder if Foxy is in Australia? :)

·
Registered
24,194 Posts
That’s a pre-covid story that I hadn’t heard. I actually saw Foxy not long before that story, but did not realize. Are he and Tessa split now? The place must be bust now, if it was in bad shape then. Of course, 2018 was still digging out from the Irmaria hurricanes. Then Covid. Bad luck for sure.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
That’s a pre-covid story that I hadn’t heard. I actually saw Foxy not long before that story, but did not realize. Are he and Tessa split now? The place must be bust now, if it was in bad shape then. Of course, 2018 was still digging out from the Irmaria hurricanes. Then Covid. Bad luck for sure.

Sounds a bit sad. Without knowing the story, I'm interested in the human behaviour.
I met Foxy and his wife years ago. She was the brains in the outfit by the look. He was an old guy just hanging in there. The actual place, just the normal tourists trap of high prices for only reasonable food. Buildings worth nothing. Land only worth a bit as "Goodwill" doesn't transfer.

Always makes me wonder why someone flies 6 hours from NYC to eat same cost food they would run out of Manhattan... and come out smiling and buying the TShirt.

Mark

·
Registered
24,194 Posts
In his day, I'd say Foxy was an entertainer. Still was, when I saw him in 2019, just much slower. We went to their Superbowl party and Foxy was a Patriots fan. The perfect caricature of the Caribbean beach bar owner. Dread locks, barefoot, drunk on wine, playing his guitar, singing and telling jokes. He'd work the tables at dinner. Tessa was known to be the formal business brains behind the operation. I'm sure they paid to be the cover of the cruising guide many years. Selling hats and tshirts was brilliant marketing. Conversation pieces when the tourists got back to NYC, driving conversation about their trip and motivating the un-indoctrinated to go experience it for themselves. I've been to some seriously fun parties at night there, with the DJ driving people to dance and all the sailors at the bar making up big sea stories. Some really great memories. They built up enough mass that I would literally tell people that were going to the BVI for the first time, they didn't want to come back and not have seen it. The next day, a quiet anchorage was always in order.

One thing was always clear. There were a ton of young local men, probably with no education, that were making good money off him. It was said they were all his close and distant relatives. Young male baretenders wearing Rolex. Didn't seem right.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
In his day, I'd say Foxy was an entertainer. Still was, when I saw him in 2019, just much slower. We went to their Superbowl party and Foxy was a Patriots fan. The perfect caricature of the Caribbean beach bar owner. Dread locks, barefoot, drunk on wine, playing his guitar, singing and telling jokes. He'd work the tables at dinner. Tessa was known to be the formal business brains behind the operation. I'm sure they paid to be the cover of the cruising guide many years. Selling hats and tshirts was brilliant marketing. Conversation pieces when the tourists got back to NYC, driving conversation about their trip and motivating the un-indoctrinated to go experience it for themselves. I've been to some seriously fun parties at night there, with the DJ driving people to dance and all the sailors at the bar making up big sea stories. Some really great memories. They built up enough mass that I would literally tell people that were going to the BVI for the first time, they didn't want to come back and not have seen it. The next day, a quiet anchorage was always in order.

One thing was always clear. There were a ton of young local men, probably with no education, that were making good money off him. It was said they were all his close and distant relatives. Young male baretenders wearing Rolex. Didn't seem right.
Thanks for this view of something which has absolutely no interest to me. I realize that perhaps most people are looking for a "fun time"... getting drunk... and "joking/BSing" in beach bars which is what the northerners head to the islands for. Let them do what they want. My only concern are things like driving drunk and other anti social "drunk" behaviors.

For me this is adds to the "ugly American abroad" reputation.

·
Registered
770 Posts
2 or 3 Julys ago I got a call from an old pirate. I was north, he was in JVD. Same birthday as Philiciano. Sitting on a picnic table in Great Harbor. Tosses the phone over to the old man and he starts in first asking me when I'll "come home." Then he goes political. Hard to believe Foxy would be all . . . crazy like that. I finally said "give de man de phone bak." And asked my old friend WTF was THAT? He just said he dials it out, but was jumping on the boat to get out of there. Wasn't going to listen to it any more. It had become too much. Things change.

I knew about the fishing boat Callwood bought years ago and had Adam run it. I thought it was fairly profitable but Tess says no. Really don't know what the overall status is right now, whether Justine still runs the newer bar up by the bubbly pool. Where Uncle Wendell might be or whether Vinnie still has Corsairs. I heard Ivan Chinnery wasn't doing great and had moved to FL and his daughter was running the place in White Bay. Met Big Head Todd over there one time when I was sitting with Ivan and said, with Todd sitting at the table unbeknownst to me, "who the F is Big Head Todd?" Nice guy, we had a good laugh, got hammered.

·
Registered
24,194 Posts
My only concern are things like driving drunk and other anti social "drunk" behaviors.

For me this is adds to the "ugly American abroad" reputation.
To clarify, it was Foxy who was drunk, but certain not alone. No one drives to this place, other than their dinghy. No doubt, dinghies are operated under the influence.

As far as anti-social, I agree there are happy drunks and mean drunks and I really hate the mean ones. For me personally, alcohol is only a happy social thing. When I feel down, angry, tired, or stressed, I find alcohol undesirable. Makes it worse and harder to figure out a solution to whatever is causing it.

Also, most of the people I’m recalling having struck up long conversation with at Foxy’s were not Americans. So clearly, we have no corner on the ugly drunkenness. The last I was there a large catamaran full of young (20 something) Germans had literally just arrived from Europe and cleared into the BVI at customs a few hundred feet down the beach. They were way ahead of us in consumption. Great stories though.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Thanks for the stories :D
It is the kind of things that make these places on people "bucket lists".
Just sad to see it/them/him try to keep going when a nice retirement cottage would have stopped a lot of anguish.

As for the performer, yes, thats what Foxy was. Like so many footballers, movie stars, musicians, theres a huge difference between creative talent and business talent.
I find it interesting that some 'stars' can earn a Million Dollars in a game/match/movie/concert/album etc and blow it... where that one opportunity of $1M would set up a diligent investor for life.

Crazy.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Callwood will never quit. The property is worth millions. I remember when he was knighted by the Queen of England. Dude was barefoot under those robes. Ran into him in . . . can't remember . . . maybe Atlanta. Maybe Miami. Carrying he shoes. He don' ware shoes. But some shops and places demand. I worn shoes maybe 4 days in the last year. I see where he was goin' wit dat. Tough when you've got a tie and sport coat on, but F' em if they don't have a sense of humor. Except Court. THEY don have sense of humor. Everywhey else we good.

Never saw much ugly drunkeness on JVD. But I do have some stories not fit to print. What's his name there - Edward Scissorhands - he and . . . can't remember her name. Getting trashed at Foxy's. Probably some nose candy involved. What's her name goes back to the yacht, what's his name passes out on the beach. Same buddy (same birthday as Philicianno), now both what - 83 on September first? Maybe 82. Walks up to Jack Sparrow (years ago) and wakes him up and says "shouldn't you go back to the boat?" Cap'n Jack freaks out, jumps up and runs off down the beach. 5:30 AM maybe. Disappears. Crew comes in from the yacht looking for the intrepid sailor, can't find him. My buddy walks them down the beach, finds said sailor hiding under the customs house, unwilling to exit said crawlspace. They got him out, eventually, I believe. He managed to skip the 2nd floor accommodations there (local jail).

41 - 51 of 51 Posts