SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· A melon with a dream...
208 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has experience with a wheel that is forward in the cockpit. I saw a boat that had originally been a tiller boat but was converted to wheel with the helm all the way up close to the companionway. I can see where this could be an advantage, but could also be totally in the way. What is your experience?

· A melon with a dream...
208 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen ones that are off center and definitely would not like that. The boat I saw is a Pearson 36 and the steering pedestal is in the middle and all the way forward. Seems reaching the traveler would be similar to an Ericson as it is directly in front of the helm. And similar to a tiller steered boat, the dodger could offer a bit of protection in nasty weather. But the helm could also be really in the way when going down below or accessing the winch on the cabin top under the dodger. On the plus side, cockpit winches are located directly to either side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.