SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
You might find an older Morse 2 lever system more to your liking if you don't have a 'kill' cable setup.. but surely there's a fuel cutoff on the engine and all you'd need is a 'manual choke' pull cable kit to rig it up.

Morse used to make a 2 lever system where the levers could be removed and stored off the hub so there was less likelihood of lines getting caught on them.
The only control that seems to be made in the old style used on sailboats is the one below from Seastar. I just browsed their catalog and it is all I could find. I'm not sure of the price but can check tomorrow.

The other option would be used. There must be some 2 lever controls around in your area. I know there is in Victoria. As far as the cables which are probably original they can be replaced for not very much if necessary. You will likely not need cables as long as the current ones.

As far as I know the throttle, when pulled to the minimum setting, also cut fuel flow to zero for engine stopping. I have basically the same engine as Chris does.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Premium product, used to install Kobelt product on government, commercial and custom boat installations. Cost is higher than Seastar Kobelt Manufacturing

or

Morse/Teleflex is now SeaStar
SeaStar Solutions

or

SeaStar Solutions

You should be able to use your existing cables (depending on length) on all these as cable ends are universal.
The Seastar uses 33c cables but the Kobelt comparable (#2031) uses the heavy duty 60 series cables. I think the Kobelt is really overkill for a smaller boat.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Chris

A friend suggested you see Mike at The Store Chandlery in Port Credit for suggestions.

The CH2500P shown above is about $800. Didn't price the Kobelt - it would be more.

Look for used. The cables may need replacing but the levers should last.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
After 20+ years out of the business I too am amazed at the price of marine hardware.
I am in the business and am sometimes amazed at the prices - like this morning when I priced the controls. List is actually a bit over $900.

But Like I posted they last virtually forever and should not be hard to find used. I would guess many get junked when derelict boats are cut up. Control cables are inexpensive if needed, they are the only parts that actually wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.