SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious when i can expect to launch my sailboat for the season?

What is the usual date for open season in New York???

Im a little antsy to get her on the river but i have to rebed the portlights and finish some general maintenance before i can launch her... Issue is... I work 5 days a week and only have time on the weekends to do what needs to be done!! (Life sucks from this vantage point) but that will soon be remedied by some brews, good food, and a good sail.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey,

I sail on the Long Island Sound.

I have been in as early as mid April, but usually try for mid may. I used to rush rush rush to get in early, but then the weather usually stinks and since I also work, I didn't really do any sailing until the end of May. Now I'm more relaxed about getting in. As long as I'm in by Memorial day I'm happy.

What makes it even more difficult is that many jobs, like bottom paint, varnish, etc., can't be done until it's over 50F for extended amount of time. So you really can't do those jobs until the end of April. And the way this year is going that may not be until June!

This year I'm coaching my son's (13) soccer team so we have games every Saturday, right until the end of June, and he's also playing ice hockey on Sunday, also to the end of June. So i don't expect to do a lot of sailing until the summer (and then I plan on doing a LOT of sailing).

Barry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried that mid May would be the answer. No point rushing as you said!! Leaves more time to perform quality repairs lol, on the subject of paint... Is it possible to lightly sand the deck and lay a few coats of gel coat to touch up hazy gel coat? It's a short cut to avoid a full blown paint job but the boat is mid 70's she's 30ft which means I'll have a lot of work should I go for full blown paint job

·
Registered
661 Posts
We start launching in April up here but May is really the month most go in

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
MY YC actually has all the moorings and docks IN! I could launch last week if I had wanted to! This a big first for my YC. Opening day picnic is May 3rd and we will actually have boats in the water this time! I may put her in, in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Launched (my first time) on Monday in Irondequoit Bay in western NY and motored to my slip. Planning to go tomorrow or Friday to see if I can adjust the rig, raise sails, and actually sail.
Only 2 weeks ago the bay was still about 90% frozen over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts