SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does coastal cruising before off shore ? At what point does that happen ?

Reactions: lharmon

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
When you can't get back to see land for 24 hours... you're now bluewater. :)

·
Handsome devil
3,477 Posts
Any point away from the

dock when aboard the Tincan.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
10,318 Posts
IMHO, anytime your ability to reach port in a timely fashion ,to avoid incoming weather, becomes questionable.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
If you cannot see land, it all looks the same. :D
Not really.. wave form is a dead give away to the old salts.. you can also smell it! I've never tested this theory, but one cruiser reported a 50% increase in her solar panel output when "offshore" presumably due the the clean air.. possible?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
To me, the one thing that distinguishes offshore sailing from coastal cruising is that, if the weather turns bad, the coastal cruiser can run for shelter, but the offshore sailor has nowhere to hide. The offshore sailor has to be prepared and equipped to cope with any conditions, however severe. If you're out so far that you can't get to shelter within any weather window afforded by available weather services, then you're sailing "offshore," and you'd best be ready to cope with whatever comes along.

·
Living & Cruising on Dana
574 Posts
Don't know if the same applies in the US, but in Europe coastal applies to the area within a 12 NM zone from the land, and off shore anything beyond that.
This has to do with the different navigation rules (right of way) that apply and required safety equipment needed.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
The brown layer of smog that covers any major metro area is clearly visible from a boat approaching from the open ocean. :)

·
1997 Dehler 33
745 Posts
Not really.. wave form is a dead give away to the old salts.. you can also smell it! I've never tested this theory, but one cruiser reported a 50% increase in her solar panel output when "offshore" presumably due the the clean air.. possible?

You know, I have to 'think' llike that all day, I try not to do it at night, I know it was not technically accurate.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
The New Jersey coast, while not deserted would probably qualify, since the harbors and ports along it are mostly impossible to enter in bad weather.
I like the "more than 24 hours from shelter" definition. About 100 miles from the nearest port for most of us...though I suppose some deserted coastal areas would qualify under this definition.

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Dawg...nah. Both AC and CapeMay are all weather inlets and Atlantic Highlands at the other end is also...it is less than 24 hours from anywhere between them. Anyway...the whole idea of the 24 hour "rule" is to let you get to an inlet before conditions deteriorate so even Manasquan would fit the bill. Nevertheless...offshore conditions are very easy to find off the Jersey Coast in bad weather AND it is probably the longest section of the East coast without a decent inlet.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
I like the "more than 24 hours from shelter" definition. About 100 miles from the nearest port for most of us...though I suppose some deserted coastal areas would qualify under this definition.
So if two boats are sailing along next to each other, CD- in his ugly slow Catalina and Chucky- in his sleek fast megamulti, it is possible that one of them is off-shore and the other is not????

·
Living & Cruising on Dana
574 Posts
So if two boats are sailing along next to each other, CD- in his ugly slow Catalina and Chucky- in his sleek fast megamulti, it is possible that one of them is off-shore and the other is not????
Guess that would depend on what you consider to be off-shore. :rolleyes:

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
That must be how modern "coastal cruisers" get into trouble. They think, "as long as someones boat could maybe make it back to shore within 24hrs. it must still be coastal area."

BTW- Does that make the waves smaller too?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts