SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at s possible purchase of a 1978 Bombay 31 the pilothouse version. Boat has not moved in my marina since 2005. Has had a few renter liveaboards but owner has not used the boat for 9 years.

In those same 9 years the boat has not been cleaned nor bottom painted. In the southern waters (SC) that I am in you can imagine the result. Yes the growth is impressive some of it hanging down a full foot. My question is when is a bottom so had that it cannot be cleaned and restored? I see oysters at water line but am hoping the rest is sludge and barnacles. Does anyone here have experience or have heard of someone who went through the process of scrapping, cleaning, and painting of something this bad? Thanks. I will be calling a local diver this week to get his perspective and a quote...

·
Dirt Free
3,403 Posts
There is absolutely no way to determine the bottom condition without hauling her and stripping her bottom. There could be widespread saturated laminate, delamination or giant blisters under that oyster/barnacle farm.

If you think a dirty bottom slows you down ...... think what it does to your boat :)

·
19,484 Posts
From another thread a couple of years back:

Originally posted by Itgoshen
Just thaught I would do a little update to this thread for the ones that welcomed me on board 2 years ago. Here is a few shots of the boat biginnings and where I am today.
1) new 2gm20F installed $3,495.00 installed my self
2) new bottom claening annd paint thru hulls etc. $2,400.00
3) New bimini's For captian and Crew $865.00
4) Auto plot repaire $350.00
5) New Diesel Fuel filter (FREE) Thanks John
I once said I got an almost free boat, Well I will not retract but I will admit it was a lot of work and cost some money. But I know my boat now from top to bottom all in the course of 18 months and it would have taken me years to learn a new boats systems. I think it was a good choice. Its a lot easer spending a little at a time and being able to sail at the same tome than the other way. I would never been able to swing that kind of money up front. I just wanted to say thank you to all of the guys on this site that helped me through the process It would have taken me a lot longer to complete this project without you. Again its not free.
On Saturday the forecast is high's around 75 degrees and light to med winds out of the north. So we sail.

Here are a few shots from when I found her rotting away on the mooring ball to today. Enjoy

Reactions: ltgoshen

·
Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
I owned a Bombay Clipper and loved that boat. I wouldn't be talking to a diver. I'd be hauling it out to attack the bottom and getting some much needed bottom paint on it so that you're right not back in this same situation in a few months. The bottom is solid glass. I wouldn't be afraid to go after it with a variety of power tools to clean the growth off. Good luck.

I had a few, as in less than 5 small blisters that where less than 1" diameter on my BC31. They are not known as hulls that have problems.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Oh, the OP absolutely wants to talk to a diver, as well as the yard. If the bottom is as foul as he infers, a yard may need to charge him extra to barrel-up the excess growth and have it shipped off as hazardous waste, a very expensive proposition.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks. This is the kind of input I was looking for. I do wonder about the hazardous waste question. I am also worried about laminate penetration, delam or blisters. My research confirms as FarCry says that these hulls are solid glass and well built. My intent in working first with a diver is not to have the hull cleaned (necessarily) but rather to get his assessment of the situation. I have several experienced divers to choose from here. But prepurchase I do want a diver to give me his assessment.

If I get assurances that convince from a diver and move forward with the purchase, my next move would be to have pros do the bottom. A local yard actually is running a special on bottom jobs until end of February that involves free haul/return and first gallon of paint for a two coat ($19/ft) contract job. So my thought is a diver is my next step. I am thinking that if he finds lots of hard growth (versus sludge and barnacles) down under that I am looking at a deal breaker. Either way I will be very cautious to clarify this aspect of the boat before I get anywhere near a purchase decision.

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
Seems pretty likely that any boat in a high fouling that hasn't been painted or cleaned in nine years is going to have significant hard growth fouling.
Ya think?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would be more concerned about the bulkheads sole and deck. If they are still solid talk the seller into letting you clean the hull. Then buy it, or buy it then clean the hull. I assume that it is cheap.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
When you say "purchase" I hope you are using that term loosely. A boat like that is likely in decent shape worth around $10,000-15,000. That means a good working engine, and sails. No working engine, and sails brings it down to about a zero proposition, if it has not been out in ten years, unlikely either are in good shape, and you add to that a bottom job and you are talking negative value, let alone interior cushions, dodger etc, etc.

Not saying don't do it, just don't get yourself way in over your head for a boat that may be hard to sell anyway. A Catalina or some really beautiful boat sure, but....

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems pretty likely that any boat in a high fouling that hasn't been painted or cleaned in nine years is going to have significant hard growth fouling.
So Fast... You being a diver, how would you tackle a job like this? Have you done one this bad? What should I expect a diver to tell me. I ran my gopro on her yesterday and confirmed heavy hard growth. How would you handle price and what would the likelihood be of getting her clean enough to hand off to a yard for barrier coat and bottom paint?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I imagine that anything that attaches itself to the bottom can be removed; it's just a question of how much time and money you are willing to spend to get it off. The bigger issue in my mind is the delamination/blister question, which you won't be able to answer until the growth is removed. I don't care how good a diver this guy is, he won't be able to tell if the hull is blistering or delaminating under 9 years of growth. And it doesn't matter if the hull is "solid glass"; blisters and delamination happen on solid glass hulls too.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
So Fast... You being a diver, how would you tackle a job like this? Have you done one this bad? What should I expect a diver to tell me. I ran my gopro on her yesterday and confirmed heavy hard growth. How would you handle price and what would the likelihood be of getting her clean enough to hand off to a yard for barrier coat and bottom paint?
Hull cleaning rates vary widely from region to region, so what I charge could be quite different from what a diver local to you might. That said, worst case scenario (and I have seen many) is $10/foot. And what that buys you is removal of the hard growth with a scraper, followed by a once-over with an abrasive pad to remove remaining soft growth. Expect that remnants of the shelled animals and hold-fasts from mussels will remain and need to be blasted off with a power-washer in the yard.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey,

My question is why are you even considering this boat? This boat sounds like a disaster. It's been in the water and hasn't moved in 10 years! Live-aboard renters? What condition will the inside be like? Does it have a functional engine? Any sort of sailing gear that will works? Can the rudder be moved?

In all seriousness, I can't image even taking this boat for free.

Barry

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Hey,

My question is why are you even considering this boat? This boat sounds like a disaster. It's been in the water and hasn't moved in 10 years! Live-aboard renters? What condition will the inside be like? Does it have a functional engine? Any sort of sailing gear that will works? Can the rudder be moved?

In all seriousness, I can't image even taking this boat for free.

Barry
Yes, and (not to be mean) the boat not exactly good looking. Yes, it looks like it would be a comfortable cruiser, but even for free it sounds like it would take more money to bring this back than it is worth. And once you put all that money and effort it will still be ugly. Heck I even like some of Walter Scott's boats.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Do any of the other posters do any of their own boat work?
Cleaning such growth off is easy. Go to Home Depot and buy a long handled manual edger. It looks like a hoe but with a straight blade. From the dock, use it to remove all growth you can see. Get in Dinghy and do the same on other side and try to get well under the hull. Give the thing to a diver and tell him to go at it. It has enough mass that even with no hand or footholds he will be able tio scrape off oysters.
1st poster said engine turned over so it isnt frozen. Such engines are very easy to repair. First, locate the name plate, it being a Yanmar it will be on the left side (facing bow). Next, go online and buy the shop manual. Next, figure out what happed to the heat exchanger, maybe it never had one but from what I see of a fresh water pump, it did.
Measure standing rigging and replace it. Replace running rigging. Examine sails, they may be ok.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.