SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're new to cruising and were recently told that we were out of sync with most cruisers because we were in Annapolis in July. We'll soon be in Maine. When do most folks leave Maine if they're headed to the Bahamas for the winter, and want to avoid the worst weather?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think people start heading south from Maine as early as when labor day is over, I left a few years back on Oct 31 due to doctor visits. It was cold until Beaufort,with the wind blowing the wrong way, in my mind sept 30 and bug out

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
We're new to cruising and were recently told that we were out of sync with most cruisers because we were in Annapolis in July. We'll soon be in Maine. When do most folks leave Maine if they're headed to the Bahamas for the winter, and want to avoid the worst weather?
It depends on whether you're going to dawdle or sail straight through.

Most people with insurance have a hurricane box line somewhere between Norfolk VA and Beaufort NC they won't cross before 1 November. Many cruisers also pick up part-time work at the Annapolis Boat Shows.

Easy answer - the migration starts in mid to late August with departures continuing into November. Temperatures drive many people South.

There is a back-up in Hampton and Norfolk VA and to a lesser extent Annapolis waiting for 1 Nov. Some people head South earlier than 1 Nov taking a chance on named storms in exchange for being warmer.

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
Check your insurance. There was a fleet of boats anchored at Cumberland Island (Ga.), waiting until Nov. 1 to proceed south. Many were from Canada, so they had come a long distance by then.

We left Brunswick Ga. Nov. 10, and had plenty of cruisers on our schedule. You won't be alone....that's for sure!

Ralph
Southbound | sailing away with R & B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.