SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Hallsberg Rassy 40c
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my last post I asked what challenges y'all faced when hiring technician, what goes into this decision making process and what matters most to y'all. I got a resounding response which was basically that I should be able to repair my own boat 馃槀 and I should ask around because 50% of techs are ****. So if I'm going to try my best to learn as much about my vessel as possible.

But my question to y'all today is, where do y'all buy parts and accessories from? what parts do you guys keep on hand?

All suggestions appreciated!

Super Moderator
Location makes a difference, but what you're looking for will also make buying from different places worthwhile. Jamestown Distributors is worth checking for fiberglass cloth and resins. Defender has some of the best pricing on general boat equipment, dinghies and motors. For standard parts and fittings Amazon can be your friend too. Shipping costs can sometimes make West Marine the best deal. If it's for a boat, it all depends.

Registered
Location makes a difference, but what you're looking for will also make buying from different places worthwhile. Jamestown Distributors is worth checking for fiberglass cloth and resins. Defender has some of the best pricing on general boat equipment, dinghies and motors. For standard parts and fittings Amazon can be your friend too. Shipping costs can sometimes make West Marine the best deal. If it's for a boat, it all depends.
All true. I was just wondering if OP was in an area with good local stores.

Master Mariner
I have something like 200 "favorites" on my computer of where I can find various bits and pieces for boats. pump wholesalers and rebuilders, electric motor repair, etc. In many cases food quality fittings and tubing/piping are usable aboard boats and much cheaper than "marine" suppliers. "Marine" equipment is expensive because it is a tiny market, not because everybody is trying to screw us. Therefor, if you can find comparable equipment in the industrial, food service or medical fields, for instance, with a much larger market, the parts will be cheaper.

Registered
Defender has been my GoTo source for decades. However the recent change to having to charge sales tax plus no free shipping has changed things a bit. They still have great customer service and super quick shipping, but prices considering everything are no longer necessarily the lowest or very close to the lowest. I now will check prices there and then do a search at other sites to see if there are better deals out there. Especially if I am not in a hurry.

Master Mariner
Defender had been my GoTo source for decades. However the recent change to having to charge sales tax plus no free shipping has changed things a bit. They still have great customer service and super quick shipping, but prices considering everything are no longer necessarily the lowest or very close to the lowest. I now will check prices there and then do a search at other sites to see if there are better deals out there. Especially if I am not in a hurry.
Defender was also my GoTo source for decades, and I sent them an email calling this to their attention in exactly those words. I got a nicely worded response stating that prices were going up, etc, etc, etc. and how sorry they were.
If prices have been going up across the board, how come so many places can now beat theirs by so much?

Reactions: JimsCAL and 4arch

Registered
I have found that West Marine has recently been very competitive with their pricing. Defender was my go-to for a long time too, but their pricing has creeped up a bit. I'm in Connecticut, so they've always added the sales tax for me. But since I'm close by, even their cheapest shipping mode usually only takes two days at the most for me. I've also started just Googling the part I want to see what comes up. I've found some dealers that I never knew about with some great deals that way.

Registered
Defender's prices really started to climb a lot when they started the Defender First program. The first year of that program was free and the second year was free to Boat US members but I don't believe there's any free avenue to join currently. You'd need to spend roughly $400-500 per year with them to make it worth it, which some years I can do in a single transaction and others I'm hard pressed to do. On years when I don't spend that much with them, the program can ironically be a hinderance to me spending any money with them as it makes me more prone to look elsewhere if I know right off the bat I'm not getting their best pricing. I don't remember them ever having free shipping, but their shipping costs have gotten outrageous lately as well.

Lately I've been finding some great deals on eBay. You can also find great deals on rope at Hamilton Marine.

Freedom isn't free
I think the defender 1st program you can buy into for $50 a year.
I always hit the $500+ threshold, I'm like a serial purchaser. I remember gathering purchase logs for my one boat, I added it up (only had the boat 3 years), and I could have bought 3 used boats for what I spent on that thing.

But I too use a lot of vendors, start with Defender, but I've used West Marine a lot as well. Jamestown, Annapolis Performance (do they still exist?), boat outfitters, my favorite one people rarely use is Catalinadirect.com because they sell mostly direct Catalina parts, but you know they sometimes work on other boats right? Ebay! My gosh you should see people parting out good stuff for boats on Ebay. Craigslist (see Ebay), or a new go-to for me is Facebook Marketplace, and now the facebook group "Sailboat Swap Shop." People selling great used gear is sometime an excellent way to go.

Forgot to plug this place, er you know there is a marketplace here right?

Registered
Basically the same as everyone else... Defender for a lot of stuff but I always check WM and Amazon to compare. My marina store is pretty good too, especially for small Yanmar parts like belts, filters, etc.

I do try to buy from my local WM because I'd like them to stay in business, but it has become quite annoying that the inventory shown online is not reliable.

Sometimes I've bought things from the manufacturer or places like Fisheries Supply or Fawcett Boat Supplies. There is also a Hunter Owners store that can be helpful for oddities (probably the same exists for other brands).

New to cruising
In my last post I asked what challenges y'all faced when hiring technician, what goes into this decision making process and what matters most to y'all. I got a resounding response which was basically that I should be able to repair my own boat 馃槀 and I should ask around because 50% of techs are ****. So if I'm going to try my best to learn as much about my vessel as possible.

But my question to y'all today is, where do y'all buy parts and accessories from? what parts do you guys keep on hand?

All suggestions appreciated!
In addition to all the posts te Defender, west Marine, eBay鈥 I can sometimes find stuff for cruising at Camping World.

Registered
Contest 36s
As there is no marine store nearby... I purchase online... Defender or West Marine of Amazon. There is a West Marine store near the boat and I do stop by to pick up things... mostly hardware type stuff as there is no close by hardware store.
I am in maintenance/cleaning mode.... no projects. In the past I would plan the project and get all materials needed before starting... many from the hardware store.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts