SailNet Community banner

Where do you put your extra electricity, your dump load?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where do you put your extra electricity, your dump load?

Those who generate their own electricity from solar or wind can have surplus electricity. Where do you put that extra electricity?

(If it's something other than one of the above, don't take the poll. Instead, send me a PM and I'll add another choice to the poll that you can then select. If I can.)

Please don't vote if you aren't dumping your extra current anywhere.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have not hooked up my load diverter yet. But it will go to the water heater.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Add refrigeration to the list, as that's probably a fairly common choice

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SD, not sure how I add to the list. Any clues?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dawg...how do you dump extra to your fridge?? If the fridge is at temperature...there is no way to dump? Pls. clarify.

Yes please. Of course, you could dump to the freezer. And maybe to a holding plate?

(And the best dump load would be adding more hydrogen to your tank, for your hydrogen-powered engine. Now that would be sweet.)

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Bene...again...how?? The compressor has to turn on in either case and the thermostat controls the compressor. If the batteries are topped up, the ffridge/freezer is at temp and there are NO loads running...when the sun shines you have to dump the extra amps as heat or electricity. A heat sink, a lightbulb, a water heater element ...but a fridge?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes please. Of course, you could dump to the freezer. And maybe to a holding plate?

(And the best dump load would be adding more hydrogen to your tank, for your hydrogen-powered engine. Now that would be sweet.)
You can get a Hydrogen generator I guess you could call it from craigslist there's some guy on LI that makes them......someones gotta try it.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
It would be nice to have some sort of cascading system; where the fridge uses the amps, if the compressor isn't operating, the water maker uses them, if the f/w tank is full, the water heater uses them, if the h/w is at temp, the disco-ball kicks in, etc. LOL

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cam -- not sure how. Guess not then.

Ajari -- Disco ball! Love it. Is that inside the cabin, or are you making a 70's navigation statement?

·
Spam, Food of the Seagods
212 Posts
Morningstar 45 amp charge controller Model TriStar TS-45 it work for both Solar and Wind.
The dump is hot water heater. Not that I need as my hot water is solar too, but, it good for cold cloudy days.

I am considering changing to experiment, but, the water heater coil was a quick and easy no brainer to start and I think it was mentioned in the owner's manual or website I buy from. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Morningstar 45 amp charge controller Model TriStar TS-45 it work for both Solar and Wind.
The dump is hot water heater. Not that I need as my hot water is solar too, but, it good for cold cloudy days.

I am considering changing to experiment, but, the water heater coil was a quick and easy no brainer to start and I think it was mentioned in the owner's manual or website I buy from. :rolleyes:

Do you have to use two charge controller one for wind and one for solar? Or can you controle both with the one TS-45 ? many thanks

·
Spam, Food of the Seagods
212 Posts
Do you have to use two charge controller one for wind and one for solar? Or can you controle both with the one TS-45 ? many thanks
Right now I connect only one at a time. We are playing around with a wind generator and use the Water Heater coil as a dump.

You can only select one or other "Load Control" or "Diversion Mode", if you need both you need 2 controllers from my understanding. But, you can switch between different modes with 1 controller. It just take a little time.

I afraid to connect both until I understand more how all this work. But, one controller all I have.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
How big does your solar/wind system have to be before it becomes necessary to dump the unused current? Also, couldn't you just break the circuit? Or would the panels/generator themselves start to heat up?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anytime you charge batteries, it is best to have a controller, preferrably a multistage controller to help make the batteries last a long time. (Unless you have a relatively tiny solar panel like I do, that really only keeps the battery charged.)

If you have a solar panel, you don't have to put the electricity anywhere. The solar panel wires will just be at open circuit voltage.

Not sure about wind, since we haven't installed ours yet. Maybe someone who has been using one for awhile can give a good answer on that.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Bene505, your forgot what is probably the most prevalent method - a shunt in line with the charge controller (Xantrex C12 Trace for me) and monitor (Xantrex XBM for me). Doesn't take much, a this shunt will do:

Shunts - DIY Solar Panels & Renewable Energy @ AltE

Although my C12 is not smart enough to dump power automatically as it does not have built in diversion control, some Charge controllers do have built in shunts (Xantrex 35, 40 etc) and this one:
Morningstar TriStar 60

I don't have a electric hot water heater, or water maker, my fridge is propane powered, and quite frankly every light and fan I have won't take the full 8 amps I can make so would not be effective.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Adam...once your batteries are full it doesn't matter what size your system is...the power it is producing can be used elsewhere or simply dissapated as heat which is one of the ways the heat sinks on charge controllers are used. I'd rather heat my water with the excess juice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts