SailNet Community banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Some one please explain it to me. I love all boats, and will always love my first boat Frolic. A 30 ft. mono more than Imagine, but I don't understand why people always want to trash multis. Is it I don't get their humor, or what? Kind of reminds me of navy guy fights army guy, but on the same team:confused: ???????

I mean what is there not like with sailing flat? Sailing at half the wind speed up to twenty knots of wind. Maintaining knots in the teens :D with a cup of coffee sitting on top of the house undisturbed with the wind on the beam, and back?

No one boat is everything. All of our boats have some defeciency to some degree. I give up going to windward when the seas start to build, and the wind is 20+knots. Then again on a bay like Biscayne, or S.F. Bay where there is only chop I am not hindered at all. Yes at sea when things are building I have some trouble shouldering Imagines leeward bow through waves:( , so I crack off a few degrees, and gain speed:rolleyes: .

I like red, and you like white, and some people like all the other colors of the rainbow. That doesn't make your choice wrong, so until you pay for my boat you really have no right to whine.

I have taken die hard mono guys out on sails under many different conditions.They have made their decisions on multis from the 70's, and mostly boats like Pivers. CSK proved them all wrong, and now the modern cats are coming into their own. During the sail they are amazed at how well I point. They actually enjoy sailing flat for a change. Their whole outlook on multis change.

Yeah yeah I know I am making myself a target, but sheesh get over it. I tell you what. Any of you folks ever get in my territory. Drop me a line, and I will see if I can take you out for a sail. I work 60 hours a week with my only day off Sunday, and it seems there's always something to do besides sail, but just to give you a chance to get a peek into the multi world. I will do my best to make time. Hell who knows you might even enjoy the day. Okay I have my flak jacket on let it rip....LOLOLOLOL....i2f

·
Registered
995 Posts
I personally have no problem with Multi's. For me, it is simply giving you guys a hard time for fun. I have done no less to Dad on his Tayana 42 and Cam on his Tayana 52.

It's all in good fun. In all seriousness, my issues with multis probably come down to where to slip her more than anything else. They do have their negatives. However, mono's do too. Everything has a tradeoff.

Like I said before, it is all in good fun.

Brian

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
sorry I2F if you are taking this too personal, we are joking. i would like to have a multi for some reasons, space and speed being some, but i want monos for some reasons too like cost and pointing. i know some multis can point but i dont enough about them to say which do.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
scotty

No problem, I don't take it personal, but just wondered why? Maybe a smiley would've have worked. I am kind of slow at times. Anyway you find yourself in my area. I will try to work out an oppurtunity to show you how cats can point.

She's a one off built in Berlin by the Schmidt boatyard. They specialize in cold molded boats. Most never know she's wood until I point it out. She's a cross between a thoroghbread, and a cruiser. A compromise in many ways. She was built to sail, and live on the hook. The previous owner's son was a world champ sailor in some small class, so it was sailors who had her built with sailing in mind.

Anyway thanks for the clarification......i2f

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
ScottyT—

I'd recommend you read the post I have here. If you still have questions, feel free to fire away. :)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i2f i dont know where you are, but thanks for the offer

SD i have read the page. i do like the catalacs but i want stand up room in the saloon. i have looked at other boats as well, but there comes the price issue.

and just for i2f:rolleyes: :D ;) :laugher

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I am near The Great Lake Erie! About 2 hours...

This was really funny I must say! "for boats that need lead to stay sunny-side up." Hey I grew up on Monos but i just cat believe the boat speed diference! Why work hard in trimming and working on your boat speed and then be happy when you hit 8 knots in your Mono, when with a Multihull 8 knots is nothing to get to! I just think that is awesome, if i can out run a storm rather then being caught in it, I think I would rather out run it, and what a ride it would be!

The healing is the only thing that will be missed! It like taking the loop out of a roller coster...

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Don't let my Thread die! Multi hullers! I thought we were on a good track we are all friends! Just remember we hate Motor Boaters!

I think that might start something!,, Lets talk about how Green sailing is and Motoring isn't!

What are some of your plans this summer? I have to talk sailing every day! I need to still figure out what I am doing! I am 39 and I feel I am late in getting back on the water! Tell me is it still nice waking up in the morning and you come out of your cabin into the dew while the coffee is smelling and all you hear are the clanging of the masts, if your docked? That is such a lovely sound! I really miss it,

I am also afraid in owning my own boat! I want to make sure i buy one that I will have for a long time! It has to be the right size! if I get a Catamaran I will not be able to launch it myself! I know that the dock fee will be more $$ but so what! Me and my wife cant have kids and my oldest from a previous marriage is almost 18 he will handle his schooling himself but of course I will help as I can, but DAD has to live his life too!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Yup, you're late getting back on the water.. :) and waking up to a sunrise with nothing but the sound of the wind in the rigging and the seabirds crying is a good thing—even if you have to make the coffee yourself. :)

Don't be afraid of owning your own boat...be afraid of not owning your own boat and regretting it 45 years from now when you're lying in the old folks home wondering what if.....

I wouldn't get a Corsair 28. There's no standing headroom and the boat isn't really fit for long term cruising or liveaboard. It is like camping on the water, and you're hunched over when aboard. Most of the folding trimarans aren't going to be very good for a couple with kids... they just don't have the room. The Corsair 36/37 or the Dragonfly 1200 would be big enough, but now you're talking a fair chunk of change. A catamaran is probably the way to go.

The Gemini is a good choice for a lot of people. It isn't as wide as some others, and can often fit in a single slip... so can be much cheaper to own than wider designs. It is big enough for a couple with a couple of kids and with room for some occasional guests, since it has three cabins plus the berths in the salon. The Catalac 8/9/10M are all good choices too, especially for an older boat. The Iroquois is a little less well suited IMHO, but not a bad choice. The TomCat, MaineCat, Seawind 1000 XL are also possibilities, but more expensive ones IIRC.

Keeping the boat on a mooring is often a way to save money. But this generally requires a bit more investment up front, as the boat has to be far more self-sufficient, at least in terms of electricity. Solar panels, and possibly a wind generator would be necessary for a boat on a mooring.

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Its a tuff call i do like the Fold up tris! I would really like to test drive them all but that is very hard to do! Who would let you do that?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Go down to Annapolis in October for the Annapolis Boat show, since PCI, the makers of the Gemini and Telstar, hosts Multihull Demo Days... You can sign up to test sail a lot of different multihulls there. Along with their own Telstar and Gemini, they usually have a couple Corsairs, a Dragonfly or two, and a bunch of other catamarans.

Its a tuff call i do like the Fold up tris! I would really like to test drive them all but that is very hard to do! Who would let you do that?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with SD. The Annapolis boat show is a great place to check out different multihulls. That's where I ended up finding the boat that was right for me. I also agree about using a mooring. Spending the night on a mooring is so much nicer than a dock.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts