SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mine is down below now...not a great place. It was on the deck and in the way. I am looking for some ideas on the best place to store it out of the way and still on the boat if I ever need to use it. I think I will put a cover on it and then get a pair of stanchion mounts and mount it to the stanchions on the bow of the boat. Here is a pic of where it is now...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stanchion Mounts are the way to go for spinnaker poles and whisker poles IMHO.
Mobnets
1973 Paceship 32/28 "Westwind"

·
Registered
551 Posts
our lies on the forward starboard deck....stays out of the way. probably gonna remove it as i have an asy spinnaker and usually dont sail dead downwind...
i have seen some that store against the mast..i like that setup myself

svsalacia.blogspot.com

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Mine is down below now...not a great place. It was on the deck and in the way. I am looking for some ideas on the best place to store it out of the way and still on the boat if I ever need to use it. I think I will put a cover on it and then get a pair of stanchion mounts and mount it to the stanchions on the bow of the boat. Here is a pic of where it is now...

Get a chock for the aft mount and place it alongside the toe rail - it's out of the way there and doesn't create windage the way mounting it on the stanchions does.

Attachments

Reactions: Faster

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
On my previous boat the pole was mounted on the deck with the stern ward chock outboard just inside the toe rail. Not bad but often in the way.

My current boat has the pole mounted on the stanchions, much better but not perfect.

While I've never had the set-up myself, when racing on a friends boat the pole was mounted on the mast. I thought that the best arrangement I've ever seen.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
Honestly, if you are not using it, take it home. Makes life easier until you are ready. I kept mine on board the first year or two "just in case", kind of a waste of space.

I ended up converting to a cruising chute set up and even that didn't get much use as I sail short handed most of the time.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I stanchion mounted both spinnaker pole & boomstay poles they , beef up the safety lines & look good in the pictures!..Dale

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Stanchion mounted pole holders can "catch" genoa sheets.

I am a fan of masted mounted poles. (will look for photos).

Yo may have to add a panel to your sail cover if it does not accommodate the pole. This might be done by adding a panel that zips in.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I don't use a spinnaker pole, but last year I started using my whisker pole.

I mount it up the front of the mast when not in use.

I keep the pole clipped on to the mast ring and tie my spinnaker halyard to the jockey pole fitting. I harden the halyard and that holds the pole in place. I put a tube clip on the mast to prevent the pole from swinging around.

This system worked well for me when single-handing as one end of the pole is always under control all the time.

This set-up has not interfered with my sail cover.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
BTW - it is easier to mast mount a dip pole spinnaker pole. A end-for end pole uses a bridle in the middle of the pole for the topping lift. The topping lift for a dip pole is at the end of the pole. This permits it to be snugged up with the topping lift somewhat better.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
That looks like about how I keep our spin pole and many times the whisker pole too. Altho I do have some stanchion mounts for the WP. We usually clip the pole(s) to the lower side stay and run the other end forward. This seems to work well overall.

I will also admit, if we are doing an NFS race, the SP goes home, stays on the dock or is below out of the way. WP also has been known to stay home/on dock etc if it is potentially not needed also.

From the looks of all other replys......I do all the above but the pole mounted vertically on the mast, which in my case with a mini forestay, that will not work!

Marty

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
As one who has lost a stanchion hung whisker pole overboard, I'm not keen on the idea. The jib sheet snagged the forward end of the pole and flip! tossed it into the drink before anyone in the cockpit could react. How come $12 boathooks float when lost overboard but $200 whisker poles sink like stones?

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
From the looks of all other replys......I do all the above but the pole mounted vertically on the mast, which in my case with a mini forestay, that will not work!

Marty
Good point.

You can end-for-end a pole when a baby stay is in place, but you cannot dip pole.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I need to agree with Jack, in that stanchion mounted pole holders do catch larger jibs frequently, along with not allowing them to set well in the foot area. Especially if you have a deck sweeper or close to one. A furling HS might not have as many issues from this standpoint. This is why generally speaking, we will mount the one end on the forward shroud and put the other toward the bow.

The where and the how will also depend more on the if you cruise and do not use said pole a lot, or if you race, and you KNOW you WILL USE said pole frequently too.

Marty

1 - 20 of 32 Posts