SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm not into sailing myself, so I'm hoping to pick the brains of the community on here. Hope no one minds!

I have a holiday home overlooking the 2012 Olympic sailing venue in Dorset, UK. I won't describe it any further here, as I don't want people to think I'm advertising it. It's just that I'm interested in letting it out over the Olympic games, but I don't have a clue where would be a good place to advertise or what it would cost.

Has anyone on here booked accommodation for the Olympic sailing events? Could you let me know where you found it, or the places you'd expect to look for that sort of thing? Is there anything I could do to make my house seem more attractive to the sailing community?

Many thanks in advance.
:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Faster - Thanks, yes there's a lot of talk in this area about whether the event is going to bring any lasting benefits. Personally, I think having the eyes of the world turned on our beautiful seaside, for however short a time, can only be a good thing. (Plus we already have improved roads, etc, ready for the games.) I'm just thinking of letting my place out to people coming along to watch the event, rather than getting involved with the organisation in any way.
I've heard that Craigslist is big in the US, but we don't really use it over here. Is there a specific sailing section that it might be worth me listing the house on? Do you know how much it would cost?

QuickMick - Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean, it is a bit of worry that we could end up with a group who turn out to trash the place. It's our holiday home and not somewhere we usually let out. But apparently there is a big shortage of accommodation at the time of the games and prices have tripled - as we're not particularly interested in watching the sailing it would seem too good an opportunity to miss out on. There is a local agency who I've been speaking to, but they don't seem too keen on taking on houses who only want to let for the period of the games, and the set-up costs to get on their books are quite high. I was thinking it might be more economical to place an advert somewhere that would be seen by the people who have tickets for the Olympic Sailing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh gosh, sorry if my post sparked a quarrel there chaps! I appreciate the info, I'll leave it to the rest of you to discuss motives, I haven't been around here long enough to know what the dispute is about!

And thanks very much for the link smackdaddy, haven't come across that site before so I'll take a look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.