SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where to anchor in Keys?

24K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
There are loads of places where you can anchor for free - more than anyone can imagine. The only restricted areas are usually those near Fort Lauderdale where McMansions tend to cover most of the shoreline along the ICW, and any adjacent coves. I actually spent the night in a cove that had a sign that said no overnight anchoring. When I was questioned by a FMP officer about when I arrived, I told him that it was very early that morning, long before anyone was out of bed, including him. He smiled, said Have a good day, and motored away.

In the Keys, you can take your pick of fantastic anchorages, many of which are located on the Gulf side of the keys and in quiet, secluded coves, but the water is often somewhat shallow, ranging just 4 to 6 feet at low tide. I found several of them on my way south a couple years ago and was fascinated by the surrounding beauty of those tiny, secluded islands.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:
Sounds good to me, but most people's thought of visiting the Keys is Key West, and other "commercial" places. I must admit that the uninhabited places hold much more interest to me, though I might be willing to pay for a mooring ball for a day or two of fun but I am sure I would get sick of all the Jimmy Buffet music and want to head back out quickly. Is there much in the way of "free" anchorages available near the cities?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.