SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a small arch above my stern pulpit - to place solar panel - my boat is a double ender so a bit pinched in the stern but already has a beefy pulpit - where can one buy the tubes and assorted attachments?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
We got 316 stainless tubing at a scrap yard for about $2.50 per pound. Seems the local hospital was having some work done and that’s what they use for piping oxygen into every room - until they rip it out to replace it.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
....my stern pulpit....
Pulpit is on the bow, it's called a pushpit on the stern.

Defender, West Marine and other online suppliers sell the tubing and the fittings. I wouldn't bother with bending, if it was just to hold up a solar array.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Pulpit is on the bow, it's called a pushpit on the stern.

Defender, West Marine and other online suppliers sell the tubing and the fittings. I wouldn't bother with bending, if it was just to hold up a solar array.

I have had this discussion a number of times with editors. People who fight with nautical useage for a living.

Stern pulpit and stern pulpit (since a pulpit is defined as a railing around and elevated platform anywhere) are roughly equally accepted, common usage, and are both accepted, each in their won circle. In the UK pushpit (a reference to poling boats) is more common, in the US stern pulpit is more common. Some US publications do not accept pushpit.

So, like many things nautical, no single answer. Always fun!:wink

·
Registered
990 Posts
I want to add a small arch above my stern pulpit - to place solar panel - my boat is a double ender so a bit pinched in the stern but already has a beefy pulpit - where can one buy the tubes and assorted attachments?
I’ve had decent luck ordering Bimini parts from Wholesale Marine online. For tubing try the local canvas shops - they usually have some or will know of a source.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Unless you are willing to sleeve it, 6 ft is the max length youll get online..without fraterape
Look for semi local industrial suppliers
Maybe look for for used bimini take offs

·
11,798 Posts
I second Sailrite

1 - 11 of 11 Posts