SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to find the prevailing wind, weather, seas, currents and other data for different locations at different times of year. Basically the tools you could use to plan passages. I don't have any problem with near term forecasts but am looking for information or averages for different times of the year.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Do websearch for "Pilot Charts", then choose 'season'/month for the sailing area in which you're interested. Pilot charts will be highlighted with wind 'rosettes' which will indicate the 'average' windstrength and wind direction in percent 'graphics' per a given month for a specific (near offshore to far offshore) area.

NOAA used to regularly publish 'pilot charts' which were located (?) ... I know there still there .... somewhere in the vast NOAA charting database; but, many changes and upgrades have been made since I last accessed them. Start here - websearch: "NOAA + pilot + charts", etc.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I think this is exactly what I am looking for. That way I can in January, plan a trip for July and know what I could expect.
Maybe. What you expect and what you get may be entirely different.

But it is a great place to start.

If you are looking at the Pacific, an El Nino is forecast; that will mess up the long range planning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.