SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Chesapeake Beach, MD and fairly central to all the western shore marinas and boating centers, but I don't know where to go to get the best deal on an outboard. My boat has an old 9.9 Yactwin by Evinrude that may have seen its last days. I want to replace it with something that is going to be reliable.
Any ideas?

Telstar 28
Reaction score
Tohatsu makes a nice small four-stroke outboard.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tohatsu makes a nice small four-stroke outboard.
I know this sounds crazy, but I have a retractible motor mount that is permanently mounted to the stern of the boat and it says "NOT FOR FOUR STROKE". I was hoping to find something in the next week or two and not have to remove and replace that motor mount if possible. I assume a new mount for a 4 stroke motor would be heavier and require filling the old holes and re-drilling. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do any more drilling or filling for a while if possible.
Does anyone make good 2strokes?

Telstar 28
Reaction score
The motor mount probably says that because for the maximum HP it is rated for, the four-stroke motor will be considerably heavier than the two-stroke version, and it will break under the weight and force of the four-stroke motor. Unless you're close to the maximum weight and HP for the bracket, using a smaller four-stroke on it should not be an issue. For instance, if you have a bracket that is rated for up to a 10 HP two-stroke motor or 100 lbs., putting a 9.9 HP four-stroke motor on it, that weighs over 100 lbs. is probably a bad idea. But I would be seriously surprised if that same bracket couldn't handle a 8 HP four-stroke motor that is 85 lbs.

Johnson apparently still makes a two-stroke motor. The four-stroke motors are far more fuel efficient and usually quieter than the two-stroke variants, but a bit heavier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.