SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any good discounters that sell yanmar fuel and oil filters?

What is a good price for these items (4JH3E)?

Thanks,

Newt

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Just about ANY automotive supply (NAPA, etc.) that caters to 'mechanics', will be able to sell you top-quality engine mounted fuel filters and engine lube oil filters. This is easily 'cross-matched' by these suppliers. Since 'automotive' supply is their domain, marine engine filters probably will probably need to be 'special ordered' from their master-distributor.

The 'Wix' (private labels for NAPA and other supply brands) lube oil filter is ... 51358
Ditto the engine mounted fuel filter *** is ... 33390

*** a spin-on fuel filter
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.234
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
Burst Pressure-PSI: 370
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 10

·
Registered
919 Posts
An impeller cover is probably not a generic part so it will have to be ordered through a Yanmar dealer. It, however, is probably a common Yanmar part so it could be procured through any of the Yanmar outlets including agricultural, industrial, and marine applications.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Scotty, Here in California I've only been able to get the pump covers from an authorized dealer, who all seem to get their parts from Boatswain's Supply (who also supplied the engines for most Catalina's made here), I'll post a link to their page of dealers in the state. I've dealt with a couple and they all seem to get them from Bosun's.
http://www.boatswainslocker.com/content.aspx?file=customerpages/dealer.htm
I'm close enough that I usually go straight to Boatswain's, I've found that on small parts sometimes the dealers will want to charge "shipping" ( from Boatswain's to them) that doubles the cost. Advance in Costa Mesa, was pretty good about sending parts by mail.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Shipping costs are a good point. Most have a min order for free shipping. I stock up on filters and consumables to get there. There is no point to paying shipping, if I can get a filter, impeller, etc, I will use eventually.

·
Full time cruiser
542 Posts
We found for authorized Yanmar parts you have to use the local authorized dealer. We had a great company in Miami and when in Deltaville getting some upgrades done we tried to order some parts from them and they told us they could not as had to use local dealers.
But once outside USA they will ship us parts - no issues.

As for filters - we have been using auto filters if we can not find Yanmar filters and in some countries that is not possible -

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We found for authorized Yanmar parts you have to use the local authorized dealer....
Perhaps their over the counter dealer franchise agreements have contractual limits that the online stores do not. Of the two I mentioned, Marine Parts Express is in Maine and I think TOAD (Torresen Marine) is in Michigan. Both ship nationwide.

I actually like to use local suppliers, when I can. Too often I find they are ordering the part, just like me. In one case, from the exact same source. Unless it's an emergency, I generally stock up on all my wearable and project related parts over the winter. Especially when provoked with a sale or free shipping offer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Marine Parts Express is in Maine and I think TOAD (Torresen Marine) is in Michigan. Both ship nationwide.
Toad only ships Yanmar parts to some midwest and eastern seaboard states. For instance, they will ship to my marina in NC but not to my house in TN. Their sales area is shown on a little map on their Yanmar page.

I've not used Marine Parts Express.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Toad only ships Yanmar parts to some midwest and eastern seaboard states. For instance, they will ship to my marina in NC but not to my house in TN. Their sales area is shown on a little map on their Yanmar page.

I've not used Marine Parts Express.
Learn something new everyday. Only Yanmar parts are limited at Toad as follows:

Yanmar Territory Info:
We sell sailing products to more than 75 countries around the globe and look forward to serving you. We are authorized to sell Yanmar products in the following areas:

Bermuda
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
South Carolina
Vermont
Virginia
Washington D.C.
West Virginia
Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I need a new impeller cover plate for my Yanmar 4JH3E. Where would I look for that?

Thanks,

Scotty
If you need an impeller cover, you might consider a Speedseal replacement: Welcome to Speedseal.
It is more $ than an OEM cover, but it has inherent advantages, like an o-ring seal and longer run-dry protection.

I switched to the Speedseal Life a few years ago for my 3GM30F and am glad I did. ( I am not connected in any way to Speedseal--just a satisfied customer).

·
Full time cruiser
542 Posts
Perhaps their over the counter dealer franchise agreements have contractual limits that the online stores do not. Of the two I mentioned, Marine Parts Express is in Maine and I think TOAD (Torresen Marine) is in Michigan. Both ship nationwide.

I actually like to use local suppliers, when I can. Too often I find they are ordering the part, just like me. In one case, from the exact same source. Unless it's an emergency, I generally stock up on all my wearable and project related parts over the winter. Especially when provoked with a sale or free shipping offer.
Not sure - but when we were having some work done in Deltaville Va we tried to order parts from the Yanmar dealer in Miami as we knew them and their service. They told us they could not ship to us as there was a local dealer.
However a few years later when the boat was in Tunisia and we were visiting family in Calif we called and told them boat was in Tunisia and we were visiting Calif and they said great they will ship to us as there is no dealer in Tunisia .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts