SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I would like some good suggestions for a good safe place to leave a boat for a few weeks while returning to US after crossing from Med. Approximate timing would be Mid December and we would leave the boat for a month or 6 weeks.

There is a lot to sort through - I am going through the normal internet search method, but some shortcuts would be helpful, We will most likely want to land in Grenadines, Barbados, Grenada, or St. Lucia after crossing. We want a place where we can leave the boat, fly home for a month or so, and return to cruise.

Priorities are security, convenience, and price.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,584 Posts
Its not hurricane season so you can leave it anywhere. St V & Grenadines its wont be there when you come back, but the others are safe. St Lucia in the marina at Rodney Bay, Grenada on a mooring in Prickly Bay via the Marina, barbados has no real facility.

They are al, within 150 miles so its all close.

What may sway you is the airfares to the USA. cheapes are the northern islans of St Martin and the USVIs, of course.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
St. Lucia appears to have cheap and convenient flights to US....I don't know why. Rodney Bay is full with ARC boats except for Moorings. I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable leaving a boat on a mooring for that long. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Pam. Now, I'm not a sailor yet but I've been a boater a long time. I'm reading a book about a couple that lived in the Caribbean for several years and they spent much of it in the northern areas in Abocas/Bahamas. What they did say is that you can never trust a mooring for too long because lines may be weathered or splitting. Plus, you never know how the anchor is set. It could've been there for years without maintenance, tied to an old motor or something like that. There's always the option to dive on it to see if it's set and find some long term anchorage residents to look after it for you if you are good for any lengthy period of time. Just my $0.02. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

·
19,488 Posts
Friends of ours 'summer' their boat in Carriacou each year. Non-cruise ship destination, quiet, relatively crime free. The boatyard in Tyrell Bay is usually booked but depending on timing may be able to haul you for a period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts