SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have been interested in sailing, and in the ocean in general for most of my life. I think this has something to do with the fact that I have only seen the ocean a handful of times.

My wife and I have decided to move someplace where we can learn about sailing, and the seas in general. We are in our twenties and have no real constraints on where we could move. We have some money saved up but would like to have the option to work as well.

In a nutshell here is what we are looking for:

-Place to live on or very near the ocean.
-Opportunities to learn about sailing, fishing, and the ocean through work or another way.
-No constraints on where we live.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matthew

·
Registered
905 Posts
Wow, lots of possibilities........

You must have SOME ties that bind....family or other matter.
Love of hot weather - hate of humid hot weather, etc.....

Being an easterner myself, I can speak for New England.....
Of course, Rhode Island and the Cape and SE Mass are all famous for sailing and other Ocean stuff - Woods Hole marine, etc.

Hmm, work? That could be a little tougher, although fishing is still popular in various places on the cape and some other ports. Also, there are the cold winters......a big negative for a LOT of people.

Lots of boat building stuff around also, but the economy is bad now so that stuff is probably slow.

The Chesapeake Bay would probably be high on a lot of lists. Milder weather, lots of options including many which are close to population centers for work, etc.

From there, I would skip south to the west coast of Florida......Tampa Bay and below - Charlotte, etc. - pretty nice weather!

The only west coast area I have been to is the Bay Area...yeah, top notch in the weather, sailing and life style end of things...but expensive to live, and I'm not sure about the work...in terms of actually relating to the water.

I'm sure many of the others can chime in - about Texas, etc. and some other spots I have never been to.

Other benefits of all the areas i mentioned are big airports and highways nearby for easy-in, easy-out when you do have to travel elsewhere.

Cost of living might be a big thing too. But that can really vary depending on your exact life style. For instance, we have a cottage on Aquidneck Island (Newport RI is on that Island) and there is a manufactured home park (not trailers.....just prefab houses) there where I saw houses advertised for 50-60K. Heck, you are on the same island and within a 1/2 mile of million plus dollar homes. The water is still the same......

So, if you can adapt.....you can live most anywhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Craigimass,

Thanks for the response. As far as ties, we have family in the Midwest, but that won't keep us from moving somewhere. We have been living in Alaska for a couple of years now, so were used to being a long distance from them.

As far as weather concerns, we might prefer something on the opposite end of the spectrum from -40 winters, and hoping for a few days that hit 70 in the summer. We aren't really all that tied to the continental U.S either. Although it may be the best bet for ease of travel and finances.

Thanks again, and hope to hear more advice,

Matthew

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know if you have your heart set on salt water, but if you have family in the Midwest, you may want to consider one of the states bordering the Great Lakes. I grew up in Michigan and now regret I didn't take full advantage while living there, and northern Michigan is beautiful.

That being said, I am a New England sailor and love that I am so close to the ocean.

Either place will NOT provide 12 months of great sailing weather, but you really enjoy every opportunity you get.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Lots of good year-round sailing in New Orleans, with the Gulf close by (well, sometimes too close, but that's another topic).

·
Registered
905 Posts
Craigimass,
hoping for a few days that hit 70 in the summer. We aren't really all that tied to the continental U.S either. Although it may be the best bet for ease of travel and finances.
Matthew
We certainly get 70's and 80's all summer - and well into the fall in coastal RI due to the influence of the warm water. Water temp in the bays can be 70+ degrees, especially in the shallower beach areas.

Here are some typical scenes from the RI coast.
Another advantage....or disadvantage depending on your point of view - is that everything is pretty compact. That means no really long drives to get to most places. Not like Reno to Vegas or anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Vancouver is beautiful. Free health insurance too......can make a big difference if you intend to raise a family or have any health issues.

Also, it is near skiing and lots of other stuff.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,627 Posts
Don't come to California! The weather sucks, the year-round sailing conditions are terrible and the women are ugly! :p

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yeah ! And Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego are out too, I had to put a sweatshirt and windbreaker on in 15 kts yesterday! No biting insects, no hurricanes, and the water don't freeze in the winter ! Women are just as ugly as up north but they got tans in the winter !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses.

My current plan is to take about two months this fall and drive from Alaska to Indiana, stopping many places along the way. I have never been down the West coast so we will spend a lot of time there.

I should have said in my original post that I can't stand large cities. So anything over, say 40,000 is out. Are there any specific towns I should stop at along the way?

Also, I think I will be taking a sailing class in Fort Lauderdale this winter. I am driving there from Indiana and going down the east coast, so any specific stops I should make there would be great.

Thanks

Matthew

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I should have said in my original post that I can't stand large cities. So anything over, say 40,000 is out. Are there any specific towns I should stop at along the way?
Puget Sound has tons of places like that. We bought our boat in Port Orchard, WA, a lovely little town of 7,693 and two marinas. Across the channel in Bremerton (pop 37,259) is another recently expanded marina. I definitely recommend checking this area out.

On our commissioning cruise we stopped off in a couple of other nice places. Deception Pass had a little village next to it (dunno what it was called), with a saloon up on the hill and an outboard repair shop.

Other small sailing-friendly towns in the PNW include Anacortes (14,557), Port Townsend (8,334), Port Angeles (18,379), Friday Harbor (2,082), and my very own Point Roberts (1,308). All these places give you easy access to some of the best sailing in the world.

Enjoy the tour!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanks for all the responses.

My current plan is to take about two months this fall and drive from Alaska to Indiana, stopping many places along the way. I have never been down the West coast so we will spend a lot of time there.

Also, I think I will be taking a sailing class in Fort Lauderdale this winter. I am driving there from Indiana and going down the east coast, so any specific stops I should make there would be great.

Matthew
Well, you'll have to head east before heading south....but most of the towns and areas referenced in New England and the Mid-Atlantic can easily fit your goals.

Just for starters.....most all towns on Cape Cod fit that description. Personally, that is too "dead", though, in the winter for my liking....but it may be your cup of tea.

On the mainland, I think it would be good for you to check out one area north of Boston such as Newburyport, Ma.

Then head south to the Island where Newport, RI is located (unless you check out the cape first, or New Bedford, etc.) - Portsmouth, Bristol, etc....all sailing towns with boat businesses, etc.

Then you might want to follow the CT coast...lots of ship fixing and even some building at Mystic and other CT ports.....

NJ should probably be skipped - then check out the Chesapeake bay. It has hundreds of miles of coastlines and every type of town you'd want. The east side of the bay, in general, is more rural....but hopefully another member will have more info as to where jobs and sailing centers would be located (well, Annapolis, I'm sure!)

It's not going to look as nice in the winter, though........just starting to look pretty right about now...and stays nice until Nov or so.

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check out Oriental NC, Wilmington NC - both great small coastal towns with good people. Oriental has less expensive cost of living.
Ft Lauderdale is center of boating in Florida but east coast of Florida is one big parking lot.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
I left university to go live in Annapolis for a couple of years. I loved it. I lived a couple of blocks from the city dock. I didn't learn to sail but I did get a chance to spend a lot of time on boats. Had I wanted to crew/learn to sail at that time, there were tons of opportunities.

I love Annapolis and would move back in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How about some out of the US suggestions...

Belize...the cays are amazing...
Indonesia...Bali, Lombok...a different world...
Or Cyprus...sailing the Med is an experience...

·
Registered
571 Posts
I grew up in Indiana and went to school there. I left after I graduated and moved the the North Shore of Boston. I then moved to Annapolis a few years later. I really miss living in New England, but the sailing opportunities in Annapolis are unlimited. Plus there are still many sailing related jobs here. And, you can get an apartment on the water for reasonable prices if you know where to look. I have a weekend gig crewing on a large charter sailboat. Great way to network around town and all along the east coast. They even take on newbies and teach them to sail. Depending on how hard core you are the sailing season is 9-12 months here. For more info, feel free to PM me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts