SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to move in the states where would you move to? This place would have to have a nice body of water for sailing, and would have to have a working environment for the working people that do Accounting and Computer IT stuff! I was thinking Florida, but my wife doesn't like that to live there. So maybe NC you have the lake and the Ocean near by? or somewhere on the Eastcost? Maybe you guys no of some special places. SanFran is to much $$$ to live there. + its going to fall of soon...;)

Of course I will be sailing a Trimaran somewhere, its just to darn cold in the North

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Check out the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland and Virginia. Don't know if you're looking for urban, suburban or rural setting but all are available and some sail the Bay year round. I've seen some multi-hulls around so you wouldn't be completely out of your element for sure.

Happy hunting...MGM

·
Registered
108 Posts
Orange County CA has a pretty large business base for computer resources, and has sailing opportunities from Newport Beach, Long Beach, San Diego and a number of other smaller ports. Sure, you'd be on the left coast, but you just can't beat the weather out here.

Eric

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Given your criteria... I'd recommend the Carolinas... :) North carolina has a lot of banking.... and some decent sailing.

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
I'm not in the US now but if I was to move to the US I'd figure it would be to Seattle.

Other places I have seen (not in person but from books and web etc) that appeal would be Chesapeake and New England.

San Diego is nice as well. Really enjoyed my time there.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think the banking sector in NC just laid off thousands...but who knows, it might be coming back by the time you get there.

New England has cold winter weather, of course. But you can make a much bigger salary than most areas and have a lot of culture within a very close distance.

As another poster said, we really have to know more. Do you like really rural areas or more urban/cultural? Do you need access to a decent airport to travel for family visits, etc.

There is so much that goes into a decision like this.

I have lived in Philly, NJ, WV, TN, MA and RI and they all have strong points...depending on what you might need at the time. Obviously not much sailing in WV.

My daughter lives in the bay area and we just returned from a visit....very nice sailing around there, a lot of nature, plenty of culture - yeah, expensive....but maybe for a reason? (It's one of the most scenic places I've ever seen!)

Enclosed - pic of Bay Area and pic of Portsmouth, RI (Newport RI area).

Attachments

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have to look at these locations, I have about a year to figure this out, i would like to go on vacation to to these locations, is anyone in the Chesapeake area?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
What part of the Chesapeake. The Chesapeake is roughly 200 miles long, north to south... and covers a very large geographic area...
I will have to look at these locations, I have about a year to figure this out, i would like to go on vacation to to these locations, is anyone in the Chesapeake area?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I DO live in the US....and given the choice, I'd take North Carolina....

having said that....anywhere from the Chesapeke south to the Florida line would be fine living.....

but first choice would be Oriental, NC......not much in the way of IT or banking going on there, but .....

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Like much of Casco Bay in Maine, but a lot warmer in Winter. :)
Despite the cold...Port Townsend, Washington. *sigh* SO beautiful...

·
Registered
452 Posts
You didn’t provide most important piece of information, where are you moving from?
IT jobs are scarce now; however you can find little surviving hubs anywhere in US, after all 75% of US population is living within 50 miles from a shore. So, looking back at your roots is a key to answer your question. I do miss fresh cold lakes I grew on; I’d probably choose other place than I live now, if I start again.
Anyway. Highway are still good, Florida or S. California are within 24-48 hours drive from almost anywhere in US, you can have your favorite setting in summer and drive to sunshine in winter…

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
We live above Philly and keep our boat on the northern Chesapeake. If you're looking for jobs in banking Wilmington, DE is a major financial center for credit card companies. There should be good opportunities in Phila, Baltimore and Washington DC as well. All major cities with financial/banking opportunities. The farther north you choose to live the colder the weather. In the Philly area we can get temps in the single digits farenheit. Snow can total 20 plus inches a season and with a coastal storm we can get that much in one day. Our winters vary based on the Jet Stream, the dominent weather maker in the US. Our travel time to the bay is apx 1:40. If you lived in the Baltimore or Washington DC area it would be more in the 20 min range on average. Baltimore is a very nice town with some great neighborhoods. Like any city it also has some that are quite bad. Weather in Baltimore is slightly warmer with less snow fall. Wash DC is even warmer with little snow accumulation. We'll be keeping our boat in Baltimore and it would be our first choice between the three cities and surrounding suburbs were we to relocate our home. The sailing season ranges from May to October. Those with warmer blood than mine start in April and extend into November. The Chesapeake is a fantastic place to sail with countless destinations. Let me know if I can provide more information. Good luck with your decision.
Mike

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Honestly, I live here! Puget Sound area is great. One can sail 24/7/365. I can snow ski 3-5 months a year, 12 months by driving down to Mt hood. I can golf in AM< sail in PM, ski in am, golf/sail in pm. We get 10" less rain in a year than the east coast gets on ave from may 1 to Oct 1. Then they do not get to sail those other months either!

Did I mention it rains here a lot too! about 36" a year...........snows.. mountains to hike, climb......BFS winds too!

No humidity like back east...........

What ever, all areas are nice, depends upon what you want!

Marty

·
Registered
249 Posts
without a doubt.....San Diego. Best weather overall of any place I've lived. And I've been in a few here in the US and overseas, too.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
Some considerations you don't mention.

Living ashore, or on the boat?

If ashore, how close to the boat?

Commute time you would put up with?

As well as the urban, suburban, rural question.

For variety of sailing, w/destinations (overnight to week long trips) the Chesapeake or North Carolina would be your best areas. Where within those areas would depend on the above questions.

·
560 Posts
This place would have to have a nice body of water for sailing, and would have to have a working environment for the working people that do Accounting and Computer IT stuff!
I work for an IT firm in Portland, ME - a lot of software development and staff augmentation. Send me a PM and we can talk. Maybe I can get you work. We have clients from NJ -> ME.

·
Not just a member
111 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.