SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to say our transmission no longer works in forward gear. Yes, I checked the linkages. I even disconnected the linkage and shifted it into gear right at the transmission. It happened immediately after some aggressive shifting to maneuver to a dock in a high wind.

Does anyone know the best place to get it rebuilt?

We are currently in New York. I called Transatlantic Diesel but they don't do transmissions.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend: East Coast Marine Transmission
Located in South Amboy NJ, just off the Raritan Bay.
This fellow is a true mechanical 'artist' and was the lead transmission mechanic at MackBoring Co. for about 25-30 years before they stopped/ceased rebuild and repair work on Diesels and Transmissions. MackBoring also HIGHLY recommends him. My experience (a stint in the engineering and design and application of large traction drive gear reduction units) is this fellow has incredible 'feel' in his finger tips with (epicyclic) gear lash and clearances - a real 'craftsman', not a parts replacement hack.
His customer base includes most of the independent Yanmar Distributers in the New England and MidAtlantic area.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich,

I emailed them and will call them this week.

Regards,
Brad

·
19,484 Posts
FWIW elsewhere recently someone stated the cost of a new replacement was $200 more than a rebuild.. Have you checked that 'angle' out yet? (could be, though, that such a skilled rebuild may be better than new??)

Years ago I was told by a Hurth dealer that these gears were essentially considered 'disposable' :confused: We're currently into year 11 or 12 (~1400 hrs) on ours (replaced by the PO).. some 'new' noises but still driving well.

On a previous boat we ran 12 years on same gear while we had it, no idea how old or new it was, but the next owner had to change it out almost immediately. Odds are this item will be on our list soon :eek:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
an new??)

Years ago I was told by a Hurth dealer that these gears were essentially considered 'disposable' :confused:
Not only with the recent 'crop' of marine transmissions; but, also the same with automotive transmissions and differentials .... no longer use 'hardened' gears, etc. and simply depend on actuarial statistics of failure mode - a dependence on statistical accounting functions rather than any possibility of 'over engineering' to assure long term service life.
Too damn bad if the geared device you own happens to be an 'outlier' of that statistical range. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had mine rebuilt at LI Marine Engine and Trans in Deer Park. It's most likely the clutch pack that went bad. Mine did the same, but reverse went while docking. If I remember correctly it was around $1500. I pulled and reinstalled the transmission my self. The guy was really nice, but he told me the parts are getting hard to find. He was told that they stopped making the transmission around 1990. It was already obsolete when installed in my 93. Is yours the 360 or 360A? There is a ZF transmisson, I believe the 63, that is almost a direct fit. It is a little shorter than the 360A, same angle. To fit it into my boat, I would of had to shim the engine a little higher, less than .25" and use a drive saver to make up the difference in length. If you have the 360 (straight output flange) you may be good to go.

Edit: Found this link that has the parts to give you an idea of the cost... http://www.merequipment.com/products/hbw360360a-parts.aspx

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had mine rebuilt at LI Marine Engine and Trans in Deer Park. It's most likely the clutch pack that went bad. Mine did the same, but reverse went while docking. If I remember correctly it was around $1500. I pulled and reinstalled the transmission my self. The guy was really nice, but he told me the parts are getting hard to find. He was told that they stopped making the transmission around 1990. It was already obsolete when installed in my 93. Is yours the 360 or 360A? There is a ZF transmisson, I believe the 63, that is almost a direct fit. It is a little shorter than the 360A, same angle. To fit it into my boat, I would of had to shim the engine a little higher, less than .25" and use a drive saver to make up the difference in length. If you have the 360 (straight output flange) you may be good to go.

Edit: Found this link that has the parts to give you an idea of the cost... Marine Transmission Parts, Clutch and Seal Kits, Gaskets and Marine Transmission Service Manuals
Thanks for the post. Yes, it is a 360 with a straight output flange.

I'll look into the ZF63.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts

Edit: Found this link that has the parts to give you an idea of the cost... Marine Transmission Parts, Clutch and Seal Kits, Gaskets and Marine Transmission Service Manuals
Thanks for the post. Yes, it is a 360 with a straight output flange.

I'll look into the ZF63.

Regards,
Brad
Good luck! When I looked into it, I believe that the transmission was $2400, and was way overkill for the application. In the end I decided to have the transmission rebuilt and saved $1000. I figured the tranny went 20 years and 1600 hours, if I can get another 1600 hours out of it, I'll be ok! Now if I was doing some serious cruising, I would consider getting a new tranny that isn't past it's EOL on the production line. But because I had a down angle tranny, I was in a unique situation where I had to match the angle, flange height and distance. Being that you have a straight output, you can probably find several transmissions that will work. Your shaft would either move aft, or forward assuming you have room, or use a drive saver to make up the difference. There's always the Borg Warner velvet drives. And there were two lesser known transmission companies that had similar products, but I don't remember their names, but did find them through message boards. The hurth had a standard SAE bellhousing mount, I think it was SAE 3. Going with a non hurth may require changing out the damper plate.

BTW, where in NY are you?

·
3,505 Posts
FWIW elsewhere recently someone stated the cost of a new replacement was $200 more than a rebuild.. Have you checked that 'angle' out yet? (could be, though, that such a skilled rebuild may be better than new??)

Years ago I was told by a Hurth dealer that these gears were essentially considered 'disposable' :confused: We're currently into year 11 or 12 (~1400 hrs) on ours (replaced by the PO).. some 'new' noises but still driving well.

On a previous boat we ran 12 years on same gear while we had it, no idea how old or new it was, but the next owner had to change it out almost immediately. Odds are this item will be on our list soon :eek:
Keep the faith on that Hurth tranny. I got 4300 hours and 19 years out of this one before having it rebuilt last year in Thailand. The seals went, lost fluid and then the noise. Part were readily available here, and the one part that wasn't available they were able to machine a new one.
Parts were about $350. Labor to pull and re install the tranny plus redo the rear main seal on the Perkins 4108 was $200. All done while on the hook.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Keep the faith on that Hurth tranny. I got 4300 hours and 19 years out of this one before having it rebuilt last year in Thailand. The seals went, lost fluid and then the noise. Part were readily available here, and the one part that wasn't available they were able to machine a new one.
Parts were about $350. Labor to pull and re install the tranny plus redo the rear main seal on the Perkins 4108 was $200. All done while on the hook.
Gotta love that labor rate! I think $200 around here gets about 15 minutes of work! might almost be worth sailing to Thailand :laugher

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts

I read somewhere the new ZFs are still essentially the same as the old

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there , We have ended up with TWO HURTH 360 R 1.5 straight parallel coupling gear boxes ( don't ask how !) and we can offer one of them. One was rebuilt by Drinkwaard Marine Holland at a cost of €2,600 and is unused since it was rebuilt. We have the documentation to support the price and the rebuild.

The second one is fitted in the boat and works fine and we paid €1,800 for that one . It was sourced in Athens , and we are told its " reconditioned " but we don't know who by or precisely what work was done on it but its been working fine in the boat for over a year .

Both the boat and the spare box are in Athens , I can supply photos of both . if you need one, we are trying to mitigate our loss so please make a sensible offer for either and we can discuss shipping etc .
[email protected].

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.