SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Blue Horizons
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Sail Netters,

Over the past three years I have learned so much. A few more dozen hours and I possess the requirements needed for an OUPV- This all from the guy who didn't know about currents and tides less than a year ago! Now I plot courses on maneuvering boards with current set and drift factored in and take noon sights that are actually accurate within a few miles longitude on a sextant!
Its been an amazing experience to buy, rebuild, and sail your own sailboat. Its been disasters and hardships, its been delight and deep contentment.

However now I am off to a land locked region to study for my Masters and so my living on a sailboat is no longer an option. Being that its not near nice enough to have a broker do the work I will once again have to get myself dirty for the job. So I was wondering where the best places to list an older sailboat were besides craigslist?
Id like to post a link to the ad I put on craigslist- It is all 100% truth EXCEPT I may have enlarged the distance sailed part by about 500 miles.. However those with more experience could perhaps offer up some advice or critiques to make this whole process that much smoother and efficient. Ive only bought a boat- Ive never sold one. So this is yet another completely new process for me.
I am not soliciting my boat here- yet I am posting my ad for critiquing purposes. Its a fine line I tells ya.

Ship-Shape AMF Paceship PY26 For Sale

·
Blue Horizons
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks kriss but its time. This boats all but maxed out. After I start working with my degree within a few years I should have 20 or 30 to get a very nice 30 to 35 footer as well as having the needed funds to actually sail it places!
Thanks for your advice ill post it there tmmrw.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Very comprehensive ad, the only thing I would suggest with the ad... IF you are getting spam, put "please put 'interested' in the subject"

Two thoughts:

1) Are you going to list it on the Paceship site?

2) I would pick a couple more Craigslist cities and list it, like Jacksonville. I could see people willing to travel some for this deal

·
19,485 Posts
No offense, but I think the ad's too long, too wordy and not too many are going to read it all anyway.

The boat, the pictures, an equipment list and contact info with a short summary of work done/condition should suffice. Send anyone who shows interest an attachment with the full story in your response.

JMO, as ever!;)

Reactions: avenger79 and jimgo

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
No offense, but I think the ad's too long, too wordy and not too many are going to read it all anyway.

The boat, the pictures, an equipment list and contact info with a short summary of work done/condition should suffice. Send anyone who shows interest an attachment with the full story in your response.

JMO, as ever!;)
that was my first thought... when he asked to critique, then I thought.. If I was going to consider buying the boat, the more info the better

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree that a real buyer wants all the info he can get from an ad. I have sold 3 sailboats from Craigslist ads. I put as much info and pictures as possible in the ads. All the boats sold to the first person to reply to the ad. The right price didn't hurt, but in every sale; I got my asking price.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
Give enough info to whet their appetite, and then say more info available. IMHO, the more pictures in the ad (within reason) the better. I HATE boat ads with only 1 pic. Make sure they are clear, and show the "stuff" you'd want to see as the buyer.

As for sites, in addition to the CL's in your area, Sailboatlistings, BoatTrader, and SailingTexas are the bigger 3 that I can think of. Sorry you have to sell, but it sounds like you've had an incredible experience, and that you've got a good plan. Good luck with your Masters!

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,072 Posts
Harborless - I like the narrative you have in the ad....it gives a potential buyer a lot of info about the boat and paints the picture that you have personally taken care of her. The only thing I would change is to clean up and organize the boat and re-take the interior photos, and get some clear photos of the equipment items you have installed.

Good luck with your master's!

·
Blue Horizons
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very comprehensive ad, the only thing I would suggest with the ad... IF you are getting spam, put "please put 'interested' in the subject"

Two thoughts:

1) Are you going to list it on the Paceship site?

2) I would pick a couple more Craigslist cities and list it, like Jacksonville. I could see people willing to travel some for this deal
Hey thanks a lot that IS good advice. Ill post it on additional cities in the fl and southern ga craigslist. I did try to be very comprehensive so I am glad I succeeded.

·
Blue Horizons
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Harborless - I like the narrative you have in the ad....it gives a potential buyer a lot of info about the boat and paints the picture that you have personally taken care of her. The only thing I would change is to clean up and organize the boat and re-take the interior photos, and get some clear photos of the equipment items you have installed.

Good luck with your master's!
Haha thank you bit I have been a full time liveaboard 18 months.. the boats so full of stuff i have no where else to hid it except on deck! Tha nks for all the help and advice and I will be so looking forward to making grown up money and getting a grown up liveaboard boat! No more hunts or cat types no no. Ill be goin a bit more fancy! Recieved two inqueries so far so we will see what the day holds!

·
Blue Horizons
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He What do you guys think about the listed price?
also, i do not like how the new sailnet server loads and keeps skipping the page up to the top as im scrolling. Very annoying!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm sorry to see you go, your posts were always enjoyable to read.

My comments would be, it sounds like you have underpriced yourself for all the receipts you have. Why not start and $8,500 and let someone negotiate down. If you start at $6k, you'll get $4,500 offers.

Why not put the boat on the hard and keep it until you are done with school if all you can get is $5,000...??

Way to wordy, do you need 50-75 words about anchors...??

Like houses, stage the boat to look neat, large and roomy. Get a small storage locker somewhere and move everything but bare necessities into it until the boat is sold...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Damn I want your boat! With everything included this is a great deal. However I have sunk all my money into my little project boat so I can't take it. Good luck with the sale, and school.

On a side note I had no idea you could motor to the bahamas on such little fuel. Pretty cool.

·
Blue Horizons
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn I want your boat! With everything included this is a great deal. However I have sunk all my money into my little project boat so I can't take it. Good luck with the sale, and school.

On a side note I had no idea you could motor to the bahamas on such little fuel. Pretty cool.
Lol- 24 gallons of diesel is a little compared to most motor yachts. My 13 gallon take can take me 450-550 miles.

I do not want to keep the boat on the hard because I want to buy a much nicer boat.

It is a great deal- I agree.

I was a poster before I had a boat and will be a [poster while I am without one. I already look forward to the "Looking at such and such boats- opinions," threads im sure to create in 2 or 3 years.

I was wordy bc that stuff is expensive and a sailor wants to know he has more than enough anchors and rode to meet any situation.

I figured being really wordy would sift through the pretenders. Any sailor who wants to buy a boat will love the read- I like reading it and its my boat!

Thanks for al support- 2 potential buyers already. I advertised on 11 craigslist regions in FL so im listed in the whole sea-side state!

·
Captain Obvious
2,424 Posts
Pics are a little weak.

Put the stuff about anchors last. Put - stuff about 'best deal in Florida" first right up top...or in the title. Maybe make the point something like - sail away on my dream boat, my loss = your gain, etc..summarize in the opening how well equipped and complete this is.

Too many gratuitous and repetitive uses of phrases such as " The boat has.." "The boat includes"
Just list the stuff - we know its on the boat..

You should probably say something to scare off lowballers. I hate to say it but lots of your dreamer type guys don't have $6k+ in cash and with all the distress around many will expect you to give the boat away. And you might have to, but I hope not.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Too much info! The very knowledgeable sailboat buyer may appreciate it, but many purchasing at this purchase price will have no clue what you are talking about. They will feel overwhelmed and think "How the heck am I going to continue maintaining all this stuff!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts