SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to leave the keys, head south west stay 25 miles off Cuba then at the far west end shout over to Mexico, sail the coast of Mexico a bit then retrace my path back to the keys. I'm thinking of a 22'-27' shallow draft that I can beef up an add a 50 to 100 h.p.moter. I need suggestions please..

·
Registered
702 Posts
why would you add 50-100 HP to a SAILboat? the only boat i know of that will take that is a macgregor but its still against all the laws of sailing.......

·
never convicted
482 Posts
maybe he means 50-100MP(monkey power)

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Nah,I'm sure he meant 5-10hp.........those extra zeros were in error, much the same way those extra zeros show up when you check out a WestMarine........total accident

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Happyboy,

Welcome to SailNet!

The trip you have planned should make for an interesting itinerary, but it is a potentially challenging one too. Could you give us some idea of what kind of sailing experience you have? With a bit more knowledge about your background, we may be able to suggest a suitable boat.

You may get quite a few questions/jokes about your horsepower requirements (but don't take offense, it's just good natured kidding.:) ) That is just because a 22-27' sailboat would more typically carry a motor anywhere from 5-15 hp.

·
never convicted
482 Posts
welcome hap, yes iwas joking--the monkey ad keeps me laughing--didn't realize it was your 1st post----i'd give cuba her room, but a straight shot to the yucatan is a fairly good distance, but doable---more info needed----[do you plan to have a monkey? sorry ,couldn't resist]

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I gotta tell this, I had a 1969 26' excaliber, there was only 4 on the West Coast, 2 ( mine & Terry's ) where in Dana Point, 1 in Newport Beach and the forth in Northern Ca; One of the 2 ( either the Newport boat or the N.Ca. boat ) sailed down the coast, thru PC, up to Florida, then eventually to the Med.

So, it is doable, and the biggest ( in size ) outboard you could put in one of these was a long shaft 5 or 6hp 4s

And welcome, I too missed that was your first post

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Shallow draft, 50-100 hp

Where are you going to pick up the drugs on this trip? :)
Hmmm, :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a quote from another thread:

"Kindergarden
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->is where you learn the most important lessons in life.

People who learn how to play nice in the sandbox are usually more successful and happier than the nerds.

If you don't believe it, then research emotional intelligence, Sailing Dog.

They're going to want a moderator here. Do you think you're qualified?

I said MY plan C boat, and I met his price range."

Welcome to Sailnet
:D
Michael

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why would you add 50-100 HP to a SAILboat? the only boat i know of that will take that is a macgregor but its still against all the laws of sailing.......
well a macgregor will do it an i'v heard of other shallow drafts with rather large motors,,why, this is america, this is what we do.. if there is a good storm comming up it wouldent bother me to get out of the way of it.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Nicely done... LOL... :)
Hmmm, :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a quote from another thread:

"Kindergarden
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->is where you learn the most important lessons in life.

People who learn how to play nice in the sandbox are usually more successful and happier than the nerds.

If you don't believe it, then research emotional intelligence, Sailing Dog.

They're going to want a moderator here. Do you think you're qualified?

I said MY plan C boat, and I met his price range."

Welcome to Sailnet
:D
Michael

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happyboy,

Welcome to SailNet!

The trip you have planned should make for an interesting itinerary, but it is a potentially challenging one too. Could you give us some idea of what kind of sailing experience you have? With a bit more knowledge about your background, we may be able to suggest a suitable boat.

You may get quite a few questions/jokes about your horsepower requirements (but don't take offense, it's just good natured kidding.:) ) That is just because a 22-27' sailboat would more typically carry a motor anywhere from 5-15 hp.
a couple months. i though i would hang in fl. for the remander of the winter an sail dayly till i got some time under my belt.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
welcome hap, yes iwas joking--the monkey ad keeps me laughing--didn't realize it was your 1st post----i'd give cuba her room, but a straight shot to the yucatan is a fairly good distance, but doable---more info needed----[do you plan to have a monkey? sorry ,couldn't resist]
matter of fact i do have a monkey but the only thing is he is ball headed, go figure an i call him peter, want to see a pic....

·
Registered
702 Posts
the only problem with macgregors is they arent well how should i say this....i dont look at them as real sailboats when i see people tubing behind them and also you could get into some rough weather on that trip that i dont think a macgregor to handle. If anyone else thinks anything else please correct me but that is my knowledge and opinion on macgregors.

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
One nice little open bluewater gale and you will find GOD. Not an option, don't even go there....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts