SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
27' Hunter, will be docked in Stamford CT off of Long Island Sound, and will be sailed almost 100% in the sound.

The sales rep @ west marine suggests just using regular West Marine brand Antifouling Ablative, but a friend of mine with a Catalina 25 was told by someone to buy the CPP Plus ablative to keep the hull cleaner

What advice does anyone else with experience on Long Island Sound think?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
CPP works pretty well in the Sound. I don't think it lasts much longer then 1 season though (2 coats of CPP).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
while trying to do some online searching for info I came across this site Super Shipbottom  Hard Ablative Antifouling Paint last night and thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with it. I don't know what to think about the company, their site is horrible and un-professional, but they claim to have this wonder paint that should be used by most everyone, except for maybe racing boats, and people trying to color match their bottom paint for cosmetic appeal cruisers espicially should use it, if it's for real...

However I've never heard anyone mention, much less use them before...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CPP works pretty well in the Sound. I don't think it lasts much longer then 1 season though (2 coats of CPP).
what part of the sound are you on? sales rep @ WM claims the extra cost of CPP isn't needed if your boat is on the sound, only if it's in the brackish near a river.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
It depends on what kind of sailing you do. If you race, you want a hard epoxy paint that can be wet-sanded. If you cruise, you want an ablative paint that won't build up over time. There are two types of abative paints: the cheaper single season type that will require a fresh coat each spring, and the more expensive multi-season coplymer type that will continue to work after the winter haulout unter it wears off. Any good quality paint should work fine on Long Island Sound.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,627 Posts
...they claim to have this wonder paint that should be used by most everyone...
That should be your tip-off right there. There are no magic bullets and anybody claiming to have one is lying. Anti fouling paint performance is very region-specific, meaning what works well in Florida does not necessarily work well in California (or anywhere else). Your best bet (which I believe you already know) is to find out what other owners in your neck of the woods use and like. Or call a local hull cleaner. Guarantee he knows what works. ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I used to use the highly recommended Trinidad SR and by September, my boat still looked like an herb garden. Then I took some advice from an Old Salt who told me to buy the cheapest paint available and hire a diver to scrub the bottom one a month.

I did - and got better results. I keep my boat moored at City Island, so it should be the same conditions as yours.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I keep the boat in Northport NY with 1000+ others and they ALL need cleaning :)

A single coat of ablative WILL NOT make the season if you do ANY CLEANING as i only did one coat under my trailer pads last season and it showing barrier coat in the pad areas when hauled

·
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan
302 Posts
It is most difficult to haul and to a bottom job here (lake sailing) so I put 3 coats of hard black Interlux fiberglass bottom paint on first with 2 coats of shark gray Micron on top. Extra coats at the water line, and on the leading edges of the rudder and keel. I dive to carefully brush off the slime before racing season and yes some of the Micron turns the water milky. When the Micron is too thin its time to haul and recoat. Its been about 8yrs, about time to haul due to being thin at the water line and starting to be difficult to brush off.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep the boat in Northport NY with 1000+ others and they ALL need cleaning :)

A single coat of ablative WILL NOT make the season...
I didn't expect to see a fresh coat of paint still at the end of the season, just looking for solid protection on the hull and to reduce growth to be managable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts