SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Cruising Guide to buy for Chesapeake Bay?

Thinking to get a book for a friend. A guide book that focuses on for quiet anchorages, beautiful scenery, perhaps those easily get to by boat, not so much on land activities or busy tourist spots.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've always found the "Cruising Guide to the Chesapeake Bay" to be very useful, especially when looking for new anchorages. Also, I like the fact that it's spiral bound. It's not cheap however. Amazon has the 2014 edition for $39.95.

I usually buy a copy every five years or so since except for the ads, the information hardly changes year-to-year. The last copy I bought from a bookstore in Annapolis. They were selling it for about five bucks because it was a year old.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Also consider Shellenberger's "A Gunkholers Guide to the Chesapeake"

The "Cruising Guide" is edited and rewritten every year based (mostly) on actual visits to each anchorage, etc. by its editors. It's written style is more 'literary', tending to be favored by women.
The Gunkholers Guide is more 'meat and potatoes' and quickly to the point, which tends to be favored by most men.
Left brained / right brained.
Get both.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
I second the recommendation of William H. Shellenberger's "Cruising the Chesapeake, a Gunkholer's Guide", which I prefer over the Maptech Embassy Guide I also carry.

A nice gift would also be the most recent set of the Heinz Maryland Cruising Guide and Virginia Cruising Guides map kits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.