SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my old bulkhead compass with a new one and the hole from the old compass is bigger than the new compass. I want to mount a round piece of plastic to cover the hole and put a hole in it for the new compass. I searched Amazon for white plastic sheet and found many different kinds... What is best to use? I know I don't want to use Plexiglass. I want something strong that will last forever. I considering buying on of those small white cutting boards and using that.

Thanks in advance.
OZ

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
King StarBoard plastic King StarBoard®
Cutting boards do not have the UV protection additive and you will be doing it again in a few years

·
Registered
22,112 Posts
StarBoard is the way to go. Could also use G10 and paint it, but I’d do the first.

You may need to oversize the cover, so that it can be attached to the surface first and made watertight.

·
Lake Sailor
1,149 Posts
Has anyone sealed a penetration in Starboard before? I have heard that 4200 or even Butyl really do not stick to it. Don't want that leaking. I glassed some holes over when I swapped out my instruments. Bought 1/4" thick, 12" square piece of fiberglass from Amazon, hole saw to make the plugs, some glass fabric epoxied in the back, then epoxy in the pieces cut out with the hole saw. I used West System and then mixed up a thickened batch with 404 filler to fill in and make smooth. Sanded with 80 grit and then painted it with topside paint. Re-cut and mounted. A bit of work but, you know it is solid as the bulkhead you are mounting to.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
We use 3M 4000 on StarBoard because it is uv resistant. 4200 will breakdown with UV exposure

·
Freedom isn't free
2,971 Posts
I used butyl above the waterline on the bulkhead, never leaked. Butyl sticks to everything if you get the good stuff. It particularly likes to stick to
itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your replies - that's just what i was looking for. I did find a place that will cut the ring but the price was crazy, way cheaper to buy the whole sheet and make it myself and have a lot left over for other projects.

·
Registered
22,112 Posts
Looks great.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Well done, That will last a long time and looks like a pro did it, screw slots o_Oeven line up .

·
Registered
69 Posts
While acrylic is used for hatches and certainly is strong enough for things like his mounting plate, I don’t think it’s the best choice. Why?
1. it eventually gets brittle in the sun.
2. Even when new, it's brittle enough that you ought to take special precautions drilling or tapping holes. Cutting a big hole can be a challenge.

if the plate needs to be really strong and machinable, then maybe G10 or one of the other epoxies. Cutting holes takes some work.

Or ABS. Relatively weak, but easy to work. Lasts in well the sun. Flexible, so it needs good support.

Or HMWPE like Starboard. For small, thin, non-structural pieces buy a kitchen cutting board.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All HDPE is pretty UV resistant, so I don't know if it's worth paying extra for teh "Starboard" name.
Sams Club sells 15" x 20" x 1/2" hdpe cutting board for $8.50 each
At that price, I'll happily risk having to replace after 5 years.

cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
cutting boards do not come in thin sizes, the plastic is not a true white color and turns yellow from UV and cracks. I have used cutting boards on our boat but we use them to cut food on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
overboard,
Not all cutting boards are HDPE. Those that are not, are probably ABS, polystyrene or PVC - which can turn yellow and crack under UV attack.
I did not suggest using any cutting board - just a specific one that is HDPE - which is a polymer that has good inherent UV resistance ,
And in this case, it is glaringly white.
Please try and keep up

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I am not sure what type of plastic I used, but I got it from a plastic shop, and it wasn't very expensive. This pic was taken 10 years after I installed the new instruments.

Getting a fairly thin material is important if the bulkhead is not perfectly flat. You want it to conform to any slight curvature.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts