SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free
3,234 Posts
wow, a J/24 a sportboat? Really? If so then my Capri 25 is also a sportboat (and is for sale), yeah I know buy an ad.

The B25, modified to fly a masthead kite might fit, couple on the market right now.

The bigger boats, the Melges, J/80 are going for $20k+
Other suggestions might be Ultimate 20, Rocket 22, viper 830, (also usually $20k+).

To keep you on budget you could find a Holder 20, turbo it (taller rig, larger roachier main, deck mount sprit, huge asym)... That might work within your budget.

Many older racing OD boats, can be turboed... some better than others, but at that price range you might need to do that, rather than buy outright... but I bet you'll be pushing $20k when you are done.

I am assuming by sportboat, you are meaning a boat that'll hop up on a surf/plane off wind given enough wind.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,234 Posts
We using PHRF NEs definition of a sportboat?
What is a sport boat? We use four definitions. Normally the boat must meet all four to be considered a sport boat. These criteria are:
1. A displacement/length ratio less than 100
2. An upwind sail area/displacement ratio greater than 30
3. A downwind sail area displacement ratio greater than 75
4. A sprit length more than 50 percent of J
The sail areas are computed using the foretriangle and mainsail square areas which do not take into account jib overlap or mainsail roach. These are accounted for by the Handicapping Committee when making judgments.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,234 Posts
Ok, I'll post my findings... only because I've seen people throw around sport-boat as a definition... I posted what NE-PHRF thinks is a sportboat above, so I wondered how my boat stacked up... I've even seen someone claim the Capri 25 is an Ultra Low Displacement boat (I think it'd need to lose about 1000lbs to fit that criteria).

Using the above definition
DA/Length = 118 for my boat. (sportboat should be <100)
SA/Disp = 30.1 for 155 Genoa and full main (sportboat should be >30)
Downwind SA/Disp = 52.89 with a Symmetrical Spin (sportboat should be >75)

The last criteria, is a SPRIT length greater than 50% of J... So my J dim is 9.8, so lets call that an even 5 foot sprit is required. That'd require an adjustment to the size of an Asym, but I submit that the Capri 25 is close enough to be a "possible" candidate for "turboing." It'd be a real PITA though, since it's a masthead rig, and even with a 5 foot sprit, clearing the asym around the forestay might be problematic at best.

Again, just posting my findings. On a standard W/L we do quite well, off wind a sprit and an asym would smoke us.

Since OD is almost gone for the Capri 25 (respects WYC, you guys are really too far away for me)... I've considered turboing my Capri, frankly to make it easier to manage with an asym.... Sounds like making it a sportboat at the same time might be possible. Not sure it's worth it though. Kind of nice to have a 30yo boat that's paid for, that does not have balsa core though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.