SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a tablet to use as a back up to our chart plotter. I prefer the Android platform over apple. I was looking at the Nexus pads but I'm not sure they'll work off shore away from a Wifi signal. What are members of the group using successfully?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I would like to buy a tablet to use as a back up to our chart plotter. I prefer the Android platform over apple. I was looking at the Nexus pads but I'm not sure they'll work off shore away from a Wifi signal. What are members of the group using successfully?
Thanks
If it has a GPS chip and charts are stored locally on the device, it should work without WiFi or mobile signal.

If you want to use it out in the cockpit, screen brightness is very important. Nexus 7 is one of the brightest Androids.

You didn't mention Window 8 tablets, which have become a very nice alternative. I have a Miix2 8" that I will use this season. It has an internal GPS chip. I run OpenCPN software with GeolocationTCP and NOAA charts that I download for free from the NOAA website. It is the brightest of the current 8" Windows tablets, and can be found on sale for $200. Fits into an e-reader waterproof pouch. Hard to beat for the price.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
I use my iPhone (with iSailor) as a back-up; but I don't use the cart plotter all that much anyway. I suppose any smart phone with the appropriate app(s) would also work. I also recently bought a Samsung Tab 3 7.0 that would undoubtedly work (it has GPS). It only cost $139.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MxMariner is quite a nice android app if you haven't checked it out yet. Works great on my Nexus 7.

Bruce

·
Registered
23,495 Posts
I'm an apple user. For you Droid folks, if you buy an app on your tablet, can you always seamlessly use it on your phone as well?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I'm an apple user. For you Droid folks, if you buy an app on your tablet, can you always seamlessly use it on your phone as well?
Yes, Android does that.

Win 8 tablets will run PC software. Does your iPad run Mac software?

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
Yes, Android does that.

Win 8 tablets will run PC software. Does your iPad run Mac software?
Apps for iPad work on iPhone, and vice-a-versa. Some apps work better on one than they do on the other, primarily due to the different screen sizes. However, Mac programs don't work on iPad/iPhone, with the exception of some programs that have versions specifically written for both platforms (Numbers, Keynote, etc.).

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Windows 8???!!! No!!! I've had viruses that I would rather keep on my computer!

:puke:puke:puke:puke:puke

MedSailor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts