SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my main halyard winch, a Barient 10, with a self-tailing model.

I am considering the Andersen 12 ST and the Harken B16 ST. Both are suitable replacements for my needs and application.

Looking for opinions of these models, in terms of build quality, appearence, ease of use and ease of maintenance.

Although I am not specifically considering Lewmar, I'll listen to arguments in favor of this manufacturer.

Jason

·
Registered
967 Posts
No help with....

Harken, Andersen as far as maintenance, but I have Lewmars as primarys and as halyards winches and cleaning/maintaining them is one of the easier things that I do on the boat. I can clean and relube them in under 15 minutes for each.

I think Harken, Andersen, or Lewmars will work for your needs, but I have always been partial to Lewmars.

DrB

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Andersens are probably the most robust, but probably also the most expensive of the three. If money is no option, go with the Andersens. If money is an issue, get the Lewmars. According to some friends of mine, Harken winches aren't as robust or reliable as the Lewmars. I haven't used Harkens enough to say if this is the case or not, but I can tell you Lewmars are pretty bulletproof.

·
19,489 Posts
I've been impressed with Anderson winches, and especially like the ribbed drum over the more common knurled/rough drum surface. I think its easier on sheets and seems to grip as well and ease more smoothly.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have the no longer made Barlows on the old boat, and they are seemingly indestructible (35 years old) when serviced yearly. On the newer boat are a bunch of Andersens, and they are robust and work easily and properly. Lewmars are good, as well. Harken I think of more as a "race winch"...super light and easy to turn, but perhaps just slightly more prone to exploding.

I wish Garhauer made a brutal winch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, which pretty much confirmed my suspicions that the Andersens were the preffered choice.

I ordered two Andersen ST 12s from West Marine online, taking advantage of their 15% discount offer and a few WM rewards certs. About $350 per when it was all said and done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts