SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My whiskerpole has 3 sleeves for extending it. Two of them refused to slide But the good news is I managed to twist them apart with pipe wrenches and get them separated. I thought the asymmetric locks were bad and the may be so I am replacing them.
Now here is the problem I can't get the old twist and lock locks out of the pole ends. Forespar says hacksaw but it doesn't say where. It also says you can heat the lock end of the pole and burn them out. That just doesn't seem right It say it will soften this very hard rubber and then you can work them out. Anyone had any experience with this. I need some guidance.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
My whiskerpole has 3 sleeves for extending it. Two of them refused to slide But the good news is I managed to twist them apart with pipe wrenches and get them separated. I thought the asymmetric locks were bad and the may be so I am replacing them.
Now here is the problem I can't get the old twist and lock locks out of the pole ends. Forespar says hacksaw but it doesn't say where. It also says you can heat the lock end of the pole and burn them out. That just doesn't seem right It say it will soften this very hard rubber and then you can work them out. Anyone had any experience with this. I need some guidance.
Thanks
I replaced mine using the Forespar repair kit. I used a propane torch to soften and work them out. It's an easy repair and yes, the propane torch absolutely works. You're looking to heat it up enough to soften it though, not "burn it out". When removed, the exterior of the rubber showed evidence of melting -- enough to work it out of the tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
I just hacksawed the end off where the rubber things attached. It's the quickest way to go.


Kudos to forespar for identifying my 1970's pole by picture on a Sunday and stocking the repair kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just used the propane torch and a big channel lock and removed the ends quite easily. It did leave some rubber in the tube but it wa easily removed. Now I am emory clothing the inside of the tube to remove the dimples and it seems to be working fairly easily. Hope the rest of the project goes as well
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top