SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have experience in disassembly of a Whitlock Constellation steering pedestal? (I'm pretty sure it's a Constellation 600).

On the last day of our cruise the friction in the steering system increased for no apparent reason. My hypothesis is that the friction lock on the wheel is not releasing fully. This afternoon I attempted to disassemble that element of the pedestal and quickly arrived at the point where something mysterious was not allowing the brake assembly from detaching from the wheel shaft. I've searched the internet for info and found an installation manual on Lewmar's website that wasn't much help.

Anybody have first had knowledge of the Whitlock system?

UPDATE:

Problem solved. Steering friction was loose nuts (see my post on that subject). I got the pedestal apart finally and ordered a rebuild kit. It's been 15 years since any serious maintenance (aside from a bit of grease now and then) was done inside the pedestal so I'm going to replace bearings, seals and gaskets even though it seems to be working OK. That way we'll be good for another 15 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar experience yesterday with mine.
I can't find the post of how you got your pedestal apart. I've pulled the wheel, and got the snap ring off, but the hub will only come part way out. I'm afraid to start pulling on it with a gear puller, as I don't want to break anything.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Imzadi,

It was so long ago that I worked on it that I can't remember the sequence. I would have to look at the thing again, but the boat's on the hard for the winter. It all comes apart. Have you checked the wheel break? You may need to remove (unscrew) the break completely before the shaft will come out. Other than that, I can't think of anything at the moment. Sorry.

PS There's a rebuild kit at http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|297677|311630&id=180778 if you find you need it.

Also have a look at http://www.sailtec.de/pic/upload/whitlock_1990_bis_constellation_400_classic.pdf.... it shows a pin holding the sprocket on and you may need to remove that to get the shaft out.

You will have to remove the compass to gain access to the sprocket and bearings, etc. That's a hassle, but a necessary step.

Before going to all that trouble, you might want to have a look at all the other elements of the system. For example, the sheeves may need grease or there might be somthing binding on the quadrant that inhibits it's movement. After I pulled my unit apart I discovered that the quadrant had come loose and slipped down on the rudder post 1/2" or so and this caused the quadrant to rub against a piece of the framing in the steering compartment.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts