SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my raw water intake has a 1 1/4" seacock (or it will as soon as I slap the new one on). My engine has a 5/8" intake hose. Does there exist a pipe to hose adapter for such a thing made of bronze? If so, where the heck do I obtain such a miraculously simple, yet elusive device?

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
bronze - unlikely. Plastic - most certainly.
There are essentially no bronze barb to barb fittings, and what is there is brass - which is hardly suitable for such application.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
There are lots of bronze pipe-to-hose fittings. Groco makes them, among others. You can get them at West Marine, Jamestown Distributors, etc.

That said, you're very unlikely to find a 1.25"NPT to 5/8" hose adapter. That's a HUGE reduction. Is the inlet to your raw water strainer REALLY only 5/8"??

The normal reduction is from 1.25" to 1", and you're very likely to have to use a reducing coupler like this one from Hamilton Marine: COUPLING REDUCING BRONZE 1.25 X 1 124505

There are several ways to get down to smaller hose sizes, but they'll very likely all involve several fittings, not a single 1.25" NPT to 5/8" hose barb.

Bill

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm. The PO had a 3/4" pipe thru-hull and seacock in a 1 5/8" hole in the bottom. The huge gap was filled with some crumbly epoxy at the top and a waterlogged sealant on the bottom. I have limited space under there. Do I need to rebuild the hole and drill for smaller sized thru-hull?? Please say no. Please? Pretty please?

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
You're going to either have to bush it down or, more likely, use a reducing coupling to get down to the size you need for your hose barb (otherwise known as a male adapter).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts