SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Who makes the best sailors?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  WouldaShoulda 
#1 ·
Im a still young enough canadian to get a working holiday visa for lots of places. I dont have kids yet, dont have debts, dont have a clue either. It doesn't seem BC would have (Relatively speaking) that much of a sailing culture. We do get winter here after all. Mexico isnt a great place to go skiing I heard.
But anyways, where would be a good spot to spend time on the sea. I have New Zealand in mind. Greece? Language isn't something that stops me. I do speak french and a bit of spanish thou. Any suggestions ?

#3 ·
Bosun's right. The Canadian maritimes are really active in the summer. It's as good a place to start as any. Other then that there is plenty of good sailing just about everywhere. If it's still true that Canadians can work in British teritories, then you might try the British Virgins for a jumping off point.

#5 ·
Beautiful B.C.

Im a still young enough canadian to get a working holiday visa for lots of places. I dont have kids yet, dont have debts, dont have a clue either. It doesn't seem BC would have (Relatively speaking) that much of a sailing culture. We do get winter here after all. Mexico isnt a great place to go skiing I heard.
But anyways, where would be a good spot to spend time on the sea. I have New Zealand in mind. Greece? Language isn't something that stops me. I do speak french and a bit of spanish thou. Any suggestions ?
Why would you assume B.C. does not have much of a sailing culture???
Are you from B.C. or have you spent time here?:confused:
There is no shortage of sailing culture here, but it is seasonal because we do get winters but that does not stop folks from sailing during season.;)
Look around some of the marinas and you will see many sailboats and we do happen to have one of the worlds premiere sailing destinations with the San Juan and Gulf Islands, not to mention Desolation Sound and The Broughtons. You only need but look around and you will discover sailing culture here.:rolleyes:

#6 ·
Wait A SECOND!!!! Canadians sail? (HEHE!!! Cracks me up hearing that come from a Candian!!)

You know, I am not sure I have a lot of sage advice for you, but I will say this: I like your attitude and the realization that you have no ties and the gypsy life cnnot be achieved easily (or at all) after wife/kids. Especially after kids things get tough.

Get out and see the world. Sailing is absolutely awesome. It is a lifestyle and a passion. Try getting on as crew somewhere. If you can get some sailing classes under your belt (and possibly some offshore time by offering to pay your way), you might be able to see a lot of places most people will miss.

- CD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.