SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would you put on your short list of Bluewater boats still being manufactured today?

Here is some general criteria: protected rudder, lead keel, good tankage, two double berths (not counting settee), less than 50 feet.

The manufacture should also have a decent dealer in the US.

Now the catch. It doesn't have to be cheap, but it does have to be a good value. Luxury yachts need not apply!!!

Above all "It needs to be a good family boat for a couple and two kids".

Just to get things going I will throw out Passport, Cabo rico, Island Packet, tartan, Pacific seacraft???, gozzard.

What do you think?

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Hallberg Rassy, Valiant and Nauticat come to mind. While these boats are a bit on the higher price side, I wouldn't call them luxury...not like the Moodys or Swans. Amel is also out there... but ugly IMHO.

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
I would also say Caliber yachts would fit your bill. Not sure why you excluded Island Packet, Cabo Rico and Passport other than their tankage for which than I would agree. Not sure why boat manufactures would not figure out how to put more fuel on the boat. 500 miles motor-sailing is a must in my opinion if bluewater cruising. I cannot count that high on how many cruiser logs I have read where they run out of fuel due to wind dies or wind on the nose and are forced to motor-sail. It seems like 20-35% of bluewater cruising is motor-sailing. Carrying fuel Jerry cans on deck is not my thing. I like a clean deck.
Now for the more exotic boat, I would drool over a Vagabound 47'. Great family boat. Plus it looks soo cool. Can one say "Argggg matie"! Here is there link! http://www.contemporaryyachts.com/default.htm

·
Señor Member
4,858 Posts
Does Oyster qualify? The ones at our marina sure look like they can easily cross oceans in both luxurious comfort and style.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry my bad. I was suggesting those as a starting point for the thread. However I do think the IP's are a little overpriced.

I would also say Caliber yachts would fit your bill. Not sure why you excluded Island Packet, Cabo Rico and Passport other than their tankage for which than I would agree. QUOTE]

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oyster is just what I am not looking for. While they are very nice, I was looking for a family cruiser not a luxury yacht.

Valient is a good out though.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless I am mistaken contest is also more of a luxury yacht.

I guess I should have put in a price range of 500k or less. Not a million.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Contest is a yacht and reasonably well appointed. But if you look at older models they are pretty basic.

What is considered luxurious? Which is an interesting question. Some might say roller furling is a luxury... or self tailing winches... or an electric windlass... or hot water.

I consider those necessities for cruising and I could go on.

jef
sv shiva

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
If you're looking at $500k, you'll have a hard time keeping Passport and Cabo Rico on the list. You can't forget about Tayana either. Melrna - why do you think there is a problem with tankage on Passports? I carry 115 gals of fuel and 125 gals of water. I'd say that's pretty decent for a 40 foot 50hp iron genny bluewater boat.

·
Señor Member
4,858 Posts
For a 33 footer, I've always been impressed by the tankage on my boat - 160 gals of diesel, split in two tanks, providing 800 nm motoring range, and a 140 gal water tank.

We have no intentions of making any ocean passages over 200 nm though - coastal cruising fills our needs just fine. It's just comforting knowing that structurally, it can take a licking.

·
Señor Member
4,858 Posts
Guess the reason why some here call her "a tub with sails" is for accommodating all the stuff she comes with. (g)

·
Splashed
572 Posts
How about Najad's http://www.najad.com/ IMnsHO these are great bluewater boats too. If I had the money I'd have this yard build me a boat: http://www.walsted.dk/ the finish on everything they do is just awesome! Personally I would have no worries crossing any ocean in one of these: http://www.nordborg-baadbyg.dk/en/?Yachts:Nordborg_40
Alternatively you could also build one of these: http://www.havhingsten.dk/index.php?id=840&L=1 They've proven their worth in the high latitudes, sailing to Greenland and NA, albeit some years ago.. Hehehehe :D
(Sorry for the Scandinavian slant on this)

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Sorry about putting Passports on my fuel list. The Passport boats are #3 on my list of bluewater boats I would buy. I was having a senior moment.

·
1997 Dehler 33
745 Posts
For a 33 footer, I've always been impressed by the tankage on my boat - 160 gals of diesel, split in two tanks, providing 800 nm motoring range, and a 140 gal water tank.
WOW! My little 33 footer has 20 gallons of diesel and 26 gal of water.

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Jom's...
You don't have to be Danish to like najads...great boats but unfortunately quit pricey here in the states due to the Euro/Dollar theses days.
I don't like that Nordborg at all from what i can see for cruising blue water but I do like the "alternative fuel" auxillary power on that last one! (g)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts