SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once a novelty, it seems as though these catamaran things aren't going away. However, why should they be the sole territory of European designer/builders (who quite obviously have very questionable taste when it comes to yacht asthetics)?

It seems to me that Catalina could make quite a nice catamaran if they wanted to, and that the "sporty yet classic" Catalina style would translate well to a multi-hull. Better yet, they could probably build something of a decent size that wouldn't cost a million dollars.

Any thoughts?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If Catalina made a catamaran, CD would use the bridgedeck to put a big bbq there...

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
Not a Catalina but an Aussie Monocat. 1/2 mil

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
WTH is a monocat???

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Thanks bubb...but Ugh...

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
I thought a Catalina catamaran was two Catalina's tied to either side of a finger pier.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
LOL...that's CD's idea of a catamaran, except they're tied to a bbq pit... :D

I thought a Catalina catamaran was two Catalina's tied to either side of a finger pier.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
"Hey look, Dad... why did they put that pier way out here?"

"That's no pier, son, that's a Tartan34."

"How can you tell the difference?"

"One is covered with bird ****, the other looks like bird ****."

"Good thing they painted it red... like a channel marker."

"Good point, son. You can never have enough navigational aids."

"But what if she moves one day?"

"There are no hurricanes on the Great Lakes, son."

"Are his sails... hey look dad, those are mylar sails. HEHEHE (chuckle-chuckle)!"

"I know, pretty funny, huh? He should have spent that money on a really long oar. He'd go faster. Now everybody waive 'hi' when we sail past."

"Hi!!!... and Byeeee..."

- CD

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
CD- For the love of God! If you're going to post a picture of a beautiful, classic yacht, the like of which you will never be worthy of, at least make te horizon level in the pic!!!!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
T34C-

That was taken off the port side of his Catalina. The camera was parallel to the deck, but the brick bbq pit in the cockpit causes it to be a bit stern heavy...so the camera is tilted.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
When I seriously got to the idea of a Catalina Catamaran, it occured to me that CD- has had one of those for years. He like to use it for a dink/fishing boat. That is whenever it's not time to get the grill ready for the next meal.

Here he is showing off his prize cat and making BS clams about how fast it is (as cat owners always do), to some of his neighbors.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When I seriously got to the idea of a Catalina Catamaran, it occured to me that CD- has had one of those for years. He like to use it for a dink/fishing boat. That is whenever it's not time to get the grill ready for the next meal.

Here he is showing off his prize cat and making BS clams about how fast it is (as cat owners always do), to some of his neighbors.

HEHEHE!

- CD

·
Banned
17,467 Posts

Don't laugh. His actual name is Harley Sparks and he just finished rounding Cape Horn on that thing.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It's probably fast, especially compared to his Catalina 400, since it doesn't have a brick BBQ pit holding it in place. :) Can't be CD's though...no grill. :)

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
How to get your Tartan to hull speed (albeit, one piece at a time):

Ya gotta go fast with that rig. If you were to hang around too long with something that looked like that, some Catalina owner is going to come along and try to tie up to you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts