SailNet Community banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
bell ringer
4,766 Posts
Next year my wife and I are going to living on our Hunter 410. In my mind for the most part only single people and "kids" should live on a sub-40' boat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
In about five and one half years, me and my girl will be living on a Bristol 29.9, headed south, after heading north, and about any other direction we feel inspired to go.

·
One of THOSE!
1,059 Posts
We've now been living on a Catalac 12M for two months. During an ongoing refit in the Turks and Caicos Islands. House is on the market.

It's a very comfy boat for two people. We turned cabin #3 into a workshop, and cabin #4 into a huge head with stand up shower and washing machine. Leaves us two forward cabins with double size bunks. Plenty of headroom in saloon and hulls. Large engine spaces, and amazing storage. Very solid boat, inch thick GRP in places. Slow, but that's all so overblown. People argue a lot over what is really the difference between a fast walk and a slow trot. If we wanted speed, we'd buy another powerboat or a Hobie. We went for the Winnebago instead of the corvette. This boat is like sailing a three bedroom, two bath English cottage around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our house is for sale right now and the minute we walk away from the settlement table we are turning in our retirement papers and moving aboard our Cape Dory 33 which we have been refitting for the past 2 years. In the past we have lived aboard a Newport 30, a Bristol 24, and a Cabo Rico 38. I feel pretty certain the CD33 will be our favorite live aboard but since we're not actually aboard yet I'll check back later.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
Congratulations :pirateraft:

Any story why 10 years? just curious :|
It has been a rough journey, involving a marriage ending, X-wife loosing her job and house and having to step up and provide a house for the kids, and delaying my own plans. Youngest is graduating from high school and starting college in the fall so it is time to move on. Fell into a deal on a boat that could not be passed up so I jumped in.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Moving aboard my C&C33 next week! Finally it has only taken like 10 years.
Congrats! It took us about 10 years to make the cruising life a reality, and we didn't have any serious complications. We finally said goodbye to a land home last July, and have been "cruising" since then.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
:crying
Mike, will you be able to make it to Chesapeake Bay this year?
Thanks Gary. Not going to make it to your area this year -- unless we chicken out and head south right away :eek:.

Plans still are to head to Newfoundland this year via the St. Lawrence. Assuming we make it there OK, are still having fun, and haven't run out of money, we'll likely linger north for a few seasons so we can explore The Rock and probably parts of Labrador as well.

Who knows, with the way the climate is changing perhaps the Northwest Passage will be even more accessible than it is already. Ultimately I'd like to end up in the PNW, so maybe we can go that way :captain:

241 - 256 of 256 Posts