SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Reaction score
I think in simplest terms it is just the market system at work. Demand is high in relationship to supply. For most models the supply is not that limited and the prices are high so it indicates very high demand. The most interesting Nonsuch in terms of price is the 22. They did not make many of them and there is nothing remotely like them so the prices are very high.

Gordon Fisher, the man who commissioned the first Nonsuch 30 later commissioned at 20' open catboat called a Naiad. His was cold-moulded and gorgeous. i sailed it once and it was great fun for a large, open, day sailor. A few were built in f/g. I imagine these would also be very expensive compared to boats of similar size and type.

Reactions: flyrod and mbianka

· Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Reaction score
You can buy a new Nonsuch if you want. Andy *******, was of Toronto has the moulds, at least for the 30 and 33 I think. He is a very good builder. They are now built with a carbon mast rather than aluminum. Paying new boat price of course but you can get it done your way.

Reactions: flyrod

· Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Reaction score
As a former Nonsuch owner and circumnavigator (not on the Nonsuch) take my word for it that a Nonsuch of any size would not be a good choice to 'take anywhere'. As was stated you have few sail choice options and once you got above 30 knots sustained it would get dicey. For most circumnavigations you are going downwind and the Nonsuch rig does not readily allow for effectively tying the main in position, the fast is just too far forward for any sort of preventer to work. There are few things to fail with a Nonsuch, but almost anything that does fail causes a major problem, e.g. you have only one sail, if something goes - halyard, clew fitting you have no fallback.

For the kind of sailing most people do, there are few, if any, boats better. This does not mean that they are passage makers, nor were they intended to be.

Reactions: flyrod

· Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Reaction score
Davidpm, that boat was not rigged correctly. I had a 30 and the end of the boom was never close to my head. If you were motoring you could have raised the topping lift. When you are sailing the sail holds the end of the boom even higher than the topping lift level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.