SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
?... I do not mean to be condescending but someone mentioned why would a 30 foot Nonsuch cost so much more than a 30 foot Catalina, Why does a Porsche Carrera cost so much more than a FIAT. Sorry but it's a fair comparison. One you can take around the world, the other one you can take to your mooring.....
I love the Nonsuch. Gazing a marina, they are often the first boat I notice, as they are so unique for a cat rig of their size.

However, are you saying you could take one around the world? I don't think there is enough sail plan options to deal with offshore variables, particularly a survival storm.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
Yes, you absolutely can sail them anywhere!!!!! .....
I can sense your enthusiasm, which is infectious, but it may have the best of you. Anywhere? Southern Ocean? Have you crossed an ocean in one yet?

An anecdotal example of a voyage in a Nonsuch won't be terribly compelling anyway, I'm sure someone has done it. Henry Manry crossed in a 13ft boat, but I would never say it was a well suited vessel for the purpose.

Cat rigs have a tendency to want to dip the boom, when running downwind in heavy air. Add a serious storm sea and I just don't see it. You can't even heave-to.

Many boats are found floating, after the crew has been extracted. That's not the test of a suitable ocean vessel.

Still, the Nonsuch is a great coastal boat, IMO.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
I never got them. Don't like the looks. Don't go upwind as well as a sloop. And raising and handling that one huge sail is a huge PITA.
I've never owned one, only sloops. The aesthetics are personal, for sure. I've always loved small day sailing cat rigs. I think the Nonsuch appeal is the interior volume for her size and the absolute simplicity of sailing one. A gaff provides more flexibility with a cat rig sail and, of course, adds a touch of complexity. However, a single, self-tacking sail is a pretty low workload.

If not well suited for world travel, IMO, it sure gives one the feeling like they could single hand it anywhere.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
How does reefing affect balance? By the 2nd or 3rd reef the center of effort has been moved significantly forward.

And any storm sail smaller than that would push it even farther forward risking significant lee helm.
I've not sailed a nonsuch, but I have to think that its cat rigged sail is cut to accommodate a reefing.

However, I'm inclined to agree that a storm sail would seem to present a problem. I just don't think Nonsuchs were design for conditions that would necessitate a storm sail. Noting, those conditions are quite infrequent, which doesn't much limit a Nonsuch's coastal cruising capability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.