SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Reaction score
First, you have to consider that an ASKING price is not necessarily the SELLING price. I doubt the owner will get anywhere near the asking price for the boat on Ebay.

But, you're right...Nonsuches are not cheap. A 30 foot Nonsuch has a displacement of 11,500 pounds so you need to compare it to a >34 foot sloop. Even so, it will often be more expensive.

There is a lot of interior room on a Nonsuch and none of it needs to be devoted to sail storage because there only is one sail.

All boats are a compromise and the Nonsuch is no exception. It all depends on what you want out of a boat. They are fairly fast for cruisers and have more tankage than some modern boats of similar size (86 gallons water, 30 gallons fuel, 25 gallon holding tank). They have (at least the Ultra's do) a separate shower and standing headroom. All of the mechanics who have been on my boat have commented on how well built she is.

I think that the price for Nonsuches is because there is very little competition. If you want want what the Nonsuch offers, you have few options...maybe some of the Freedoms.

What you gain is a nice coastal cruiser, that is easy to single hand, and that avoids the maintenance costs associated with multiple sails, standing rigging, etc.

Is if for everyone? Of course not. I think you either love Nonsuches or you wonder why anyone would be crazy enough to want one. For me, it is a great boat for the Chesapeake and my shoal draft model (draws just under 4 feet), is perfect for getting into quieter coves.

Bottom line: if you want a sailboat, you can buy a great boat of another builder for far less. If you want a Nonsuch, you pony up the cash.

· Registered
293 Posts
Reaction score
Rules,
So, it kinda sounds like you like your Nonsuch? :laugh

I love mine too! I'm not sailing it across the pond any time soon, but for my purposes she's just about perfect.

Nonsuches are easy sail at one level, but I'm still learning how to get the best out of her. Adjusting sail shape with various combinations of main sheet, halyard, choker, and topping lift. And gybing with a mainsheet that is over 120 feet long is, well, interesting. (I try not to make it exciting.)

Bottom line: I think that everyone should be as passionate about the boats they own, no matter what they sail, as you are about yours.

Fair winds,
Jim

· Registered
293 Posts
Reaction score
But for me it is the potential of dipping that big sail when going down wind (also the best point of sail for the boat) that is most concerning.
For me, the best point of sail is a beam reach. Down wind is easy because I can head DDW or even sail by the lee by at least 15 degrees because I can let the sail out more than 90 degrees.

I don't think that dipping the sail is a big concern in most conditions. There is a way to minimize the possibility, however. Just do a "half-reef"--that is, reef the clew but not the tack.

And $89K for a 30 is just crazy talk. More in line if it's a nice 33 or an average 36.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.