SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Reaction score
I never got them. Don't like the looks. Don't go upwind as well as a sloop. And raising and handling that one huge sail is a huge PITA.
There are very few 30yr old cruisers that could make upwind VMG better than a properly sailed Nonsuch, and none easier single or doublehanded. They can outpoint any full keel cruising sloop, but I rarely hear anyone say "don't buy a Westsail, they don't sail to windward". If a Nonsuch has one fault for a sailor, it's that they are relatively boring to sail. The old joke is that a racing crew has three people; helmsman, trimmer, & wine steward! Nonsuches have collected enough pickle dishes in whitesail & shorthanded races to prove their sailing abilities. Their rig just sails & trims differently.

They're not a boat for rounding the Horn or exploring the NW Passage, but anywhere you'd take a cruising catamaran you could sail a Nonsuch, and for a couple do it far more cheaply with almost as much interior living space.

· Registered
32 Posts
Reaction score
Yeah I saw a 30U that was going for stupid money, a 30 Classic will be down around $30-$40k. Which is where you'll find a decent Niagara 35, Hinterhoeller's sloop.
They just made solid above average boats that hold their value unless a PO has buggered them up.

There's a Nonsuch 30C going for $10k, mostly because a PO sunk a through hull where he shouldn't & rotted the hull core.

· Registered
32 Posts
Reaction score
The prices between Nonsuches & Niagara's are fairly comparable, Hinterhoeller just knew & cared about building top shelf boats. Even his smaller solid glass sloops have held their value.

They did build 600+ Nonsuch, so they're not exactly rare. Hell they're still being built on a semi-custom basis. How many other 30yr old cruising boats are still having new builds commissioned?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.