SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a complete hull paint job on a 30 foot sailboat.

Just curious, why is the bottom often painted a different color than the hull sides?

I know many boats came from the factory all white, but colored boats often have the bottom in a contrasting color.

Is this simply due to the limited colors of bottom paint vs many options in topside paint? Is there any benefit to having the contrasting colors?

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
White bottom paint seems to be a last few yrs option. Hence why you see the bottom being a different color. Also other colors are showing up more recently for bottom paints too. Probably due to the formulations of the paints today vs past, along with our knowledge in how to work with the paints better.

Marty

·
Registered
846 Posts
Although more colors are available for the bottom, the best working antifouling is brown-red. On the other hand the best color for the top side is white, because reflects all the sunshine which means the boat is not overheated by the sun.

It might be possble to aply a single tone bothto the top and the bottom, but because the colors are limited for the bottom, one has to obey their colors for the top, which might not be a pleasant color selection at all. Different shades of similiar colors might look wort than two different colors.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I paint the bottom of my boat a different color so that when I'm heeled way over, everyone will know what a kick ass sailor I am.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
And a frugal dockmate does it so he can see from the dock that he needs to paint when the white patches on leading edge of rudder & at bow reach a certain size.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,117 Posts
When your swimming around scrubing you bottom blue is nice, red is scary makes you feel like an extra in a jaws remake.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
My boat is Blue, my bottom paint is a differnt shade of Blue.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I think this is all crap! Just a plot to get you to buy more bottom paint. Every year the bottom paint manufactures come out with their Hot new spring colors. The next thing I know is my wife is coming home 3 gallons of "Crystal aqua sparkle cinnamon adobe maze red." We wouldn't want to be out of fashion, now would we.

I don't think the fish care all that much and I don't either. Blue and Black have served me well over the last 30* years.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts