SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Simple, elegant peace.
The perfect tack.
Dolphins visiting.
Seeing the stress melt away from the friends that came along.
Beer cans and bikini tops collecting on the deck.
The sound of rain moving across the water in the dark.
Sunrise and coffee.

·
Dakota Lee
97 Posts
I sail because unfortunally I do not live in a time when I could own a starship. Thus when sailing "I am master of my fate: I am the Captain of my soul". The timeless allure that links us to our past as well as the future. We have more in common with sailors 1000 years ago and those who will one day walk on distant planets than perhaps some that live and work beside us every day.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
I sail because unfortunally I do not live in a time when I could own a starship. Thus when sailing "I am master of my fate: I am the Captain of my soul". The timeless allure that links us to our past as well as the future. "We have more in common with sailors 1000 years ago and those who will one day walk on distant planets than perhaps some that live and work beside us every day".
I like these words, A Lot. Well said.

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
For me part of it is the challenge. Without getting into my family and cultural dynamics, sailing has allowed me to continually learn new things about myself and find out what my limits are. And it's fun.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I can relate to that. Craziest day of sailing ever was the tag end of a hurricane in my CL16 dingy at my cottage on the Bay of Chaleur New Brunswick. Spent half my time standing on the centreboard bringing it back upright after capsizes.
Man it was fun! No reefs and a 100% jib. Actually no reefing points on it anyway.
Want another dingy so I can extend my sailing season from just after ice out to just before the lakes freeze over.
Don't get me wrong I also love the light air days where I'm working to get every knot I can out of my boat.
As long as I'm sailing I'm happy, been at for 47 of my 48 years.

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
I just recently returned from a winter sailing vacation and have engaged in the typical recap for colleagues, friends, etc. How was your vacation, what did you do, etc. Some get excited hearing of it, others have the look of questioning my sanity to be cooped up in a 500 square foot living space with 2 couples for a week.

It's truly a lifestyle. It either fits or it doesn't.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Lots of good stuff on Erik's channel. He's a masochist. He just sailed solo across the North Sea in January...crazy vikings.
Yeah I think I'm in love. Lol!

Reactions: amwbox

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mmm,I like this thread, I just yesterday finished getting my Asa 103 certification in probAly the stormiest,rainiest days that corpus christie has seen in awhile,it was awsome!being out on a benateu 35 in 30 knot winds and being in control ,learning what weather helm really is and how to solve it...flying along ona beam reach and holding the course.....man it's been awhile since I have felt so alive,it sure puts things like cancer,and business problems..ect.. Way on the back burner.....although neither of us (my sailing partner and I ) wanted to ever give up the helm..doing the crew duties..busy,busy..at time is great too and in between busy can just enjoy...thanks so much to Captain Chris of learn to sail Texas,and good winds to Jarrod(our sailing partner) I suspect he will be on this forum soon,with big&feasable world sailing plans................. Ralph

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love the exhilaration of sailing a dinghy. When you're on the precipice and one bad movement can send the boat over edge. And the fact that that's okay, the worst that can happen is of no dire consequence. Day cruisers are entirely social to me, its about enjoying a drink with the company I'm with. No rush to get anywhere, and a lot of time to kill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wonderful thread and great responses. To me it is very hard to articulate the "why". My wife called my boat my blood pressure pill. She could see the stress and trials and tribulations of everyday life disappear as soon as I was aboard.
Why do I love sailing? Because it puts me in a state that nothing else can match or even come close. Whether bashing into 40 knots, racing for a little seemingly worthless little ribbon, cruising with the sails balanced and sailing herself, or sitting at anchor, there is a calmness that all is right.
It can take so much focus, that for a period, there is nothing else but you and the task at hand. There is no outside world. Other times it can be so serene and peaceful that you are again taken away from the outside world.
A friend, whom I've raced with for ten years, and I were sailing in 8 knots. Sails nicely trimmed, boat perfectly balanced and she was sailing herself. Wanted to to below to grab a snack, so asked my friend to watch the helm. Came back up five minutes later to find him still laying down in the cockpit. Boat still sailing perfect to the breeze. Thought to myself, damn, I love this.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Yeah I think I'm in love. Lol!
I doubt the love affair would last very long.

I do enjoy the occasional, spirited, heavy-weather sail but that's about *all* Erik does.
He beats the crap out of himself and his boat. The Shetlands appear to be a frequent destination.

I need more variety in my sailing than that.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts

I do enjoy the occasional, spirited, heavy-weather sail but that's about *all* Erik does.
He beats the crap out of himself and his boat. The Shetlands appear to be a frequent destination.

I like Erik's sailing style. I think he's awesome. He's a pro seaman that loves the voyage. Great sailor and great sailing channel imo. It's all about the journey.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Your probably right but I can still dream....

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just take the weather as it comes, not about to pass up a weekends sailing because of too much or not enough wind. IMO it's all in preparation for when I cut the dock lines and head off to see the world. Won't be able to choose the weather as much "out there".

41 - 60 of 60 Posts