SailNet Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,293 Posts
I did it, I loved it and I realized that there were things I loved which were not compatible living aboard. When I realized I moved to dirt and became a part time sailor / local cruiser and spent lots of time on board. Now I have decided it's too much work, my bones are too old... so I will be selling the boat. I had a great 36 yrs. You have to know when to fold.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
We lived aboard until after my son was born. Then when he was a baby, we temporarily rented an apartment for a few months to make things less complicated. Things didn't get any less complicated! Eventually sold the boat.

I would live aboard again, at least on a seasonal basis, but probably not on a monohull sailboat. My pick would probably be a light trawler or power cat. Something where I could step off the dock and onto the level I would be living on, no below decks for me if I could help it.

·
Old soul
5,187 Posts
I live aboard (during non-pandemic times) for about 1/2 the year. We don't currently live aboard all-year due to this thing called a Canadian winter. If/when we head south, we will likely be on board year-round. That said, I am enjoying the variety of the 1/2-year pattern.

·
bell ringer
5,650 Posts
When the suck to fun ratio gets all too much wrong I am moving back to dirt. Currently this looks to depend on covid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had to buy a home in Alaska as my daughter and Oz son in law and our son, his wife and children were trapped along with us in Alaska (came to visit for 2 weeks - stayed a long time). Everyone lost their jobs/homes when the borders closed last year. The Beneteau 35 wasnt big enough for 8. After the borders reopened in Oz and Alaska, we shipped the kids back to Oz and sold the Alaska house and the boat and moved to Montana. Our son stayed in Alaska and loves it. We have lots of friends here. We also upgraded to a nice new big to us Lagoon 42.

We're planning a European cruise right now to visit family and friends. The new boat is in Kennewick about 300 miles west. We spend as much time on the cat as we can. Its a fast drive as Montana has no speed limit during the day.

John

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just don't want to. I've been on around boats since infancy and have done all sorts of cruising, gunkholing, and passage making on power and sail but have never felt a strong desire to live aboard full time. There's really not a more complicated reason than that.

However, there are some cruising bucket list experiences I'm planning to accomplish that probably necessitate living aboard for an extended period, but I see the living aboard as more a means to an end than as its own end goal.

·
Advanced beginner
652 Posts
I've been researching this question as part of my retirement planning, and it does seem like after a few years the bloom is off the rose for many people, as the fantasy of life on the water begins to collide with the reality of endless boat projects. But for everyone I know personally who cruised for at least a year and came home, the pull was a job that wasn't going to let them have a sabbatical forever, and an unwillingness to take the income hit that would come with leaving that job for something more compatible with cruising full time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did it for 10 years, can be like camping, time to do something else. I don’t miss extreme temperatures, lightning storms, hurricanes, etc.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,293 Posts
My boating/sailing evolved.
New boat was a period of intense learning and fitting out.
Then a period of leaving home in NYC and cruising/living aboard in the Tropics... not dirt dwelling. More learning and new lifestyle
Next return to my origin and continue weekend live aboard and mini cruising
Now as a senior and have ticked off a bunch of goals... time to say good bye... and let someone else go for it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My better-half and I talk about moving aboard and sailing away frequently. Our plan is to begin working-from-boat as soon as possible, and not fully retiring, as we meander up and down the US East Coast. If we love what it brings us as a couple, then we perhaps expand our range. Primary concerns are child in college still, for 2.5 more years, and payments on the home. We're not ready to sell the home, its location provides a dock for us and a rendezvous for family events. We recently started working with a financial advisor who is helping us make the dreams reality. So we need to be able to keep our health insurance, keep socking away for full retirement, keep up the payments on house and boat (maybe we bought too much boat), and unwilling to sell the home on the dirt. OUR DREAM IS TO BE RETIRED, and full time cruisers. We always wonder how folks live aboard full time, unfunded it seems. Not counting the assorted YouTube people who literally get paid to make videos.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts