21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm using a 10" Dragontouch Android tablet running Navionics and OpenCpn. Same apps and function as the phone but with a nice big screen. You have to get a cellular capable version to get the built in GPS, but they're easy to find. $120 on Amazon. You often hear people say they're using an "iPad" for this, but I hope they're using the term generically like using "Coke" to mean any kind of soda. A real iPad is about five times the cost of the Dragontouch, and in this application doesn't do anything the Android won't.
I looked this up but it said FM not Cellular, I know Cells are microwave radio transmission and i suspect with Frequency Modulation but I have to check is this the same thing? And do you need to sign up with your provider?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
You can buy a cig plug which has a USB and one with a USB and another cig plug/outlet.
That is exactly what I did in my cockpit. I use a Samsung TabA in an otterbox rugged case along with the built-in Ramarine chart plotter. The tablet is way more convenient for zooming in to look at detail, measure distances, etc. The built in chart plotter feeds data to all the other instruments, vhf etc.

The annoying thing was the tablet always going to sleep, so I made it so the screen stays on for 30min, but that runs the battery down pretty fast.

The outlet I installed has 2 USB 3a ports and a lighter plug. Both have water resistant plugs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts

That little cable goes from a 12v cigar lighter port to an SE iPhone propped in the panel. Navionics got us from Chiapas, where the fancy chart plotter ran out of map, to Florida. I plotted and entered and "flew" at high magnification the entire route(s). It was easy to change routes as we did have diversions. It also played days of music. The waterproof case kept it working in some pretty serious downpours. We hand steered the whole way as a couple of seasons in the tropics had disabled the best autopilot I ever had used. The radar saved our bacon dodging lots of big traffic when we had to turn around at night in the Canal environs when our transit date was suddenly changed. My shipmate there had backup if needed. And we had paper charts.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts