SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Herreshoff/Vaitses Meadowlark
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've been working on getting my boat ready to splash, and doing things like moving my mast to sawhorses on the ground, I've been finding myself wishing I had more places to tie things off.

And that got me thinking. Lashing things down on a boat is as common thing. Dinghies to foredeck, Jerry cans to lifelines, lifeboats, etc. Sailing Wisdom's current videos have a suitcase generator lashed behind the cockpit as a backup to their regen and solar panels.

But I've not seen boats that were well-equipped with padeyes to provide convenient points to do such lashing.

I've seen dinghy blocks custom built to fit a particular dinghy, but I've not seen boats that were equipped to allow almost anything to be lashed almost anyplace.

Yet I'm thinking that I'll want exactly that, on my boat. Padeyes well supported and positioned regularly around the boat.

Yet I wonder, why are they not more common? Why do people not find them necessary?

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
As a designer, I may not WANT you lashing your dinghy to the foredeck, where it will cause the boat to yaw at anchor and block the fore deck hatch should you need to leave in the event of fire. I may not have built the stanchions with lashing a row of jerry cans along them in mind and don't believe their presence is seaworthy. In the case of a life raft, I would rather the mount was custom and actually fit.

Just sayin'. If you have a lot of stuff lashed on deck, often that means you need to leave some stuff at home or get a larger boat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lashing items to the deck if you’re going blue water sailing is not recommended, although everyone does it. A rouge wave can do some serious damage. I be careful with what you lash to the deck.
I had pad eyes in the cockpit, for lashing things down (fuel jugs) and snapping my safety harness to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lashing items to the deck if you’re going blue water sailing is not recommended, although everyone does it. A rouge wave can do some serious damage. I be careful with what you lash to the deck.
I had pad eyes in the cockpit, for lashing things down (fuel jugs) and snapping my safety harness to.
Even a bluewater boat doesn't spend all its time on the open ocean.

·
Dirt Free
2,933 Posts
I've added 16 very useful pad eyes of various sizes on my boat and every one has a specific function,
Doubt the builder would've known where I wanted them.

·
Administrator
7,948 Posts
Put in your own.

BTW, I would never lash fuel cans to the lifelines. But then some must as they bought a boat without storage. My 7 diesel are in the lazarette.

Mark

Reactions: s_ruffner

·
Registered
238 Posts
Even a bluewater boat doesn't spend all its time on the open ocean.
But when the time comes, you’ll need to find a secure place for all the items you have on deck. Something to keep in mind when you see a kayak or mountain bike you like to have.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
But when the time comes, you’ll need to find a secure place for all the items you have on deck. Something to keep in mind when you see a kayak or mountain bike you like to have.
Curiously, I've never used them for that. The bikes went on a stern rail bike rack (a boat is no rougher than a potholed gravel road IMO), and the kayaks either on the davits or tramp. The few times I've carried fuel cans, they were by the stern rail, no pad eyes needed.

I really, really hate deck clutter. Nothing but snag and trip hazards. I quickly decide I don't need the item or find a better place in a locker or below.

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
I wouldn't be all that concerned by a rogue wave ripping things off the securing eyes. You'll have a lot more important things to worry about if you were to actually encounter one.
I've seen the damage to big freighters wrought by real rogue waves, not these piss ant things yachties are so concerned about.
Stay out of the Southern Ocean (yes, that's right folks, it has finally officially been recognized as an ocean) and the North Sea and you will most likely never encounter one.

Reactions: contrarian

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
As I've been working on getting my boat ready to splash, and doing things like moving my mast to sawhorses on the ground, I've been finding myself wishing I had more places to tie things off.

And that got me thinking. Lashing things down on a boat is as common thing. Dinghies to foredeck, Jerry cans to lifelines, lifeboats, etc. Sailing Wisdom's current videos have a suitcase generator lashed behind the cockpit as a backup to their regen and solar panels.

But I've not seen boats that were well-equipped with padeyes to provide convenient points to do such lashing.

I've seen dinghy blocks custom built to fit a particular dinghy, but I've not seen boats that were equipped to allow almost anything to be lashed almost anyplace.

Yet I'm thinking that I'll want exactly that, on my boat. Padeyes well supported and positioned regularly around the boat.

Yet I wonder, why are they not more common? Why do people not find them necessary?

Am I missing something?
You are literally talking about toe breakers, if any are on deck. They make removable screw in eyes that are flush except when in use. A much better option in places people walk.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If you're going to use a symmetrical spinnaker you will most likely need 3. One on the foredeck for the downhaul and one on each side close to the stern for the sheet and guy snatch blocks. The foredeck padeye is a toe breaker but a necessary evil for the symmetrical.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aluminum toe rails will have tons of places to lash things. Otherwise, maybe they want to minimize the number of deck penetrations.
Maybe if I had toe rails or stanchions and lifelines, I'd not have felt the lack of places to tie down.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Maybe if I had toe rails or stanchions and lifelines, I'd not have felt the lack of places to tie down.
What kind of boat do you have that has no toe rails, no stanchions and no lifelines?

And why do you want to stow a bunch of crap on deck anyway?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadowlark. 37-foot shallow water ketch.

Few of them have lifelines. Mine's not in the water, yet, but this is one that is:

As for storing things on deck, that's not what is driving this. Mine has been sitting on a trailer through the winter, with its masts down. The masts are on tabernacles, so I can raise and lower them, and move them around on deck, single handed - using the winch, blocks, and lines.

I moved the mainmast over the side of the boat onto sawhorses, where I can more easily replace the lighting and electrical wiring, inspect the standing rigging, and remove the running rigging for cleaning.

I managed it by myself, with some ingenuity and some frames I improvised out of 2x2s. You can move quite heavy weights with blocks and tackle, if you take it slow as and think about what you're doing. (And the masts on this boat aren't all that heavy - probably less than 500 pounds.)

But more than once I found myself wishing a had a place to tie off where I didn't.

And it's not like moving heavy things around on a boat is an unusual activity. Engines, generators, batteries, fuel tanks, dinghies, there are a lot of things that need to be moved around a boat, from time to time.

Of course, most of the time you'll have your masts up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts